Resin ring bends when it gets warm

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Louise:

I bought a resin ring with moss and copper flakes embedded in it recently (not from your site). It’s a lovely thing and I have no complaints, just a question. It softens when I’m wearing it on a hot day (about 27C) – enough to be able to bend out of shape. At present it is firm, but the outer surface, which is faceted, feels just slightly tacky. Is that resin’s normal reaction to heat, or a sign it didn’t set properly when it was made?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Louise,

Depending on the kind of resin used to make the ring, yes, it can get soft when warm. I have commonly seen this with items made with Easycast epoxy resin. Unfortunately, there is no way to make the ring stronger or keep it from getting ‘bendy’. I would not, however, expect it to get tacky on the surface when getting warm. Was it sticky when you purchased it?

Louise

Hi Katherine,

It’s actually a relief to know there are resins for which it’s normal, and I’m going to assume that’s the case here. It wasn’t sticky when I bought it, and it is only mildly so during the heat, just enough to notice. Maybe it’s better not to wear it in summer?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hmm. It’s hard to say, but I’m betting you will find the same thing happens during the winter months. I’m betting it’s the warmth of your hand that’s making it soft.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin ring bends when it gets warm’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube