Resin set up quickly

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Karla:

Hi, Can you tell me why my white resin set up immediately upon pouring it?? It got really hot. I just used it the other day without any issues. I’m very new to resin, but THIS was instantaneous! (Which almost could be cool…..) Measured as close to equal amounts as I could, stirred a little into a seperate container & added food coloring & glitter. Set up right away. Turned to the remaining batch & it had already set up too….so it wasn’t the color/glitter that did it. WEIRD.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Karla,

When resin sets up quickly, there was something that made the chemical reaction between the resin and hardener work faster than intended. This could be from mixing too much of the two items together or something was added to the mixture (colorant, inclusion, etc.) to speed up the reaction.

Is this a quick cure polyurethane resin by chance? What kind/brand of resin are you using?

Karla

Alumilite Amazing Casting Resin was what I used. The first time I used it, I had no issues. Second time, like I mentioned. Made two batches from one….one cup filled with 2 drops food coloring/glitter, the other cup straight white resin. Both set up instantaneously.

Only thing I can think of, was that maybe I got a bit more hardener. But I was as accurate as I could be….Hmmmm.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

That resin only has a pot time of 2 to 3 minutes. It is fully cured in 10 to 15 minutes. It doesn’t like moisture, so the food coloring could have messed things up.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin set up quickly’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube