- This topic has 4 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 3 years ago by Katherine Swift.
August 28, 2013 at 5:22 am #2063Katherine SwiftGuest
This question comes through email by Debbie:
Ive been trying to post a question on the blog but cant seem to do so?
I was trying to use Castn Craft polyester resin to do a deep casting, after I took my cast out of the mold, the mold had some resin on the sides which I couldnt get off easily. I read somewhere that if you put the mold in the freezer for a few minutes the resin will come off easier. I put my empty mold in the freezer of my small “dorm size” refrigerator and forgot to take it out. It was there for about 3 days when I realized what I did. Now the whole refrigerator smells like uncured resin. Do you know if its still safe to use the refrigerator? Could I unplug it and let it air out, then clean it?
Really need some advise.
August 28, 2013 at 5:23 am #2064Katherine SwiftGuest
Im going to contact the manufacturer and see what they have to say.
August 29, 2013 at 11:32 am #2065Katherine SwiftGuest
This is the response from the manufacturer:
The customer can just air out the refrigerator; overnight would be a good idea. Unfortunately, the odor of casting resin stays around a long time but it is just smell. There?s a possibility that food like cheese or bread could absorb the odor and I wouldn?t eat it if it smells weirdly.
Powdered Tide laundry detergent will also remove uncured resin: prepare a hot water bath with plenty of Tide in it then wash the casting. Tide is expensive! Laundromats usually have small boxes sold in coin machines.
September 2, 2013 at 7:55 am #2066DeboraGuest
Thank you so much for going out of your way to ask the manufacturer, I really appreciate your help!
I threw out the cheese that was in there, kept the champagne splits, and let it air out for about two days, then I cleaned it really well.
The smell is gone and my champagne is chilling!
September 4, 2013 at 6:57 am #2067Katherine SwiftGuest
I TOTALLY would have hated throwing the cheese away, but at least the bubbly is good!
- The topic ‘Resin smell in a refrigerator’ is closed to new replies.