Resin smell in a refrigerator

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Debbie:

Ive been trying to post a question on the blog but cant seem to do so?
      I was trying to use Castn Craft polyester resin to do a deep casting, after I took my cast out of the mold, the mold had some resin on the sides which I couldnt get off easily. I read somewhere that if you put the mold in the freezer for a few minutes the resin will come off easier. I put my empty mold in the freezer of my small “dorm size” refrigerator and forgot to take it out. It was there for about 3 days when I realized what I did. Now the whole refrigerator smells like uncured resin. Do you know if its still safe to use the refrigerator? Could I unplug it and let it air out, then clean it?
      Really need some advise.

Katherine Swift

Debbie,

Im going to contact the manufacturer and see what they have to say.

Katherine Swift

Debbie,

This is the response from the manufacturer:

The customer can just air out the refrigerator; overnight would be a good idea. Unfortunately, the odor of casting resin stays around a long time but it is just smell. There?s a possibility that food like cheese or bread could absorb the odor and I wouldn?t eat it if it smells weirdly.

Powdered Tide laundry detergent will also remove uncured resin: prepare a hot water bath with plenty of Tide in it then wash the casting. Tide is expensive!  Laundromats usually have small boxes sold in coin machines.

Debora

Thank you so much for going out of your way to ask the manufacturer, I really appreciate your help!
      I threw out the cheese that was in there, kept the champagne splits, and let it air out for about two days, then I cleaned it really well.
      The smell is gone and my champagne is chilling!
      Thank you,
      Debbie

Katherine Swift

I TOTALLY would have hated throwing the cheese away, but at least the bubbly is good!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin smell in a refrigerator’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube