Resin solution altering dye color

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Dru

Hi all,

Am quite new to resin crafting and would like to share the following issue i’ve encountered.
      I recently purchased some epoxy resin online and on its virgin use I realised that the navy blue dye in putting inside is turning black. Also, the smell of the resin is pretty strong as compared to easycast ones.
      My question is have I been duped and ended up purchasing an inappropriate solution for resin craft.
      Anyone experienced this before?
      TIA
      Dru

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

What kind/brand of resin did you purchase? Did you purchase dyes/pigments also made by the same brand? Not all colors are compatible with all resins.

Dru

Hi Katherine

The label reads epoxy resin. Not from any commercial brands.
        I purchased the pigments from the same seller. Funny thing is I used the pigments with easycast and the blue turned out beautiful but with the ‘housebrand’ resin solution, it turned black.
        Are there specific types of resin that causes these reactions?
        Thank you for helping.

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

Hi Dru,

In order to get clear resin, manufacturers will add colors to the part A and part B such that when they are mixed, the end result is clear. Sometimes, adding other colors will react with the colors in the resin to create a color you weren’t expecting. You can see when it happened to me in this blog post: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-resin-resin/coloring-resin-2

Although this doesn’t happen very often, unfortunately, it does happen.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Resin solution altering dye color’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube