Resin sticky patches even though *well mixed*

Home Page Forums Resin Techniques Resin sticky patches even though *well mixed*

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ora

Hi there,

I have been using epoxy resin for a year or so to make jewelry, so I wouldn’t call myself a beginner.

However…. I still run into an apparent random sticky patch issue. This happens on some pieces, while others are fine using the same pour. I first mix 15 ml for 2-3 mins with a silicone pot and wooden spatula, I let sit a few mins for bubbles to dissipate, before putting into another silicone pot, new spatula, gently stirring again. I then pour into two smaller silicone pots, one to ‘bath’ my items to reduce bubbles on pieces I am embedding, the other to check for dust and heat again as I swirl it to get rid of any more bubbles. At this point they are beyond mixed!

Yet when I go to check finished pieces after 24 to 36 hrs they can all look great but upon handling, a sticky patch appears while on the rest of the piece it might be fine. And other pieces from the same pour can be perfect. I am trying to sell and it’s going well except being able to produce enough is an issue since it’s anyone’s guess as to how many failures I will have in a batch.

I use a dehumidifier before I start and leave a heater on to make sure it’s not too cold. I feel like I’ve tried everything!

It’s a 2:1 epoxy.

I’ve done so much reading and this site is awesome! But if you have any other ideas I could try I would be so grateful! 🤗

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Ora,

I’m sorry this is happening to you. Here are some other reasons why your resin could be sticky: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/why-is-my-resin-sticky/

Ora

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I use syringes for measuring so I think that should be fine but one thing I haven’t considered is a minimum amount that needs to be mixed. I tried 30ml this evening. Fingers crossed. I really need to get to the bottom of this!

And thanks again for this website! 🤗

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin sticky patches even though *well mixed*’ is closed to new replies.
close

Wanna hang out? Cool. We love creative people.

Subscribe to blog updates10.2k
Follow on Facebook22.5k
Follow on Pinterest187.9k
Follow on Instagram15.7k
Follow on Youtube73.1k
Subscribe to forum updates