Resin sticky patches even though *well mixed*

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ora

Hi there,

I have been using epoxy resin for a year or so to make jewelry, so I wouldn’t call myself a beginner.

However…. I still run into an apparent random sticky patch issue. This happens on some pieces, while others are fine using the same pour. I first mix 15 ml for 2-3 mins with a silicone pot and wooden spatula, I let sit a few mins for bubbles to dissipate, before putting into another silicone pot, new spatula, gently stirring again. I then pour into two smaller silicone pots, one to ‘bath’ my items to reduce bubbles on pieces I am embedding, the other to check for dust and heat again as I swirl it to get rid of any more bubbles. At this point they are beyond mixed!

Yet when I go to check finished pieces after 24 to 36 hrs they can all look great but upon handling, a sticky patch appears while on the rest of the piece it might be fine. And other pieces from the same pour can be perfect. I am trying to sell and it’s going well except being able to produce enough is an issue since it’s anyone’s guess as to how many failures I will have in a batch.

I use a dehumidifier before I start and leave a heater on to make sure it’s not too cold. I feel like I’ve tried everything!

It’s a 2:1 epoxy.

I’ve done so much reading and this site is awesome! But if you have any other ideas I could try I would be so grateful! 🤗

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Ora,

I’m sorry this is happening to you. Here are some other reasons why your resin could be sticky: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/why-is-my-resin-sticky/

Ora

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I use syringes for measuring so I think that should be fine but one thing I haven’t considered is a minimum amount that needs to be mixed. I tried 30ml this evening. Fingers crossed. I really need to get to the bottom of this!

And thanks again for this website! 🤗

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin sticky patches even though *well mixed*’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube