Resin technique questions

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes through email by Sarah:

I am wondering if it is possible to use a very thin type of resin with an air brush and also since at the moment I am painting on resin onto organic material what would happen if I changed the ratio from 2 to 1 to 1 to 1. Are there any resins that are less shiny, At the moment I am spraying a mat aryclic spray after the resin cures. Also what can I do to prevent pooling of the resin on the bottom even though I am painting just one side.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Sarah,

I have never tried resin through an airbrush. Even with a thin viscosity resin, I question whether or not it would flow. As I recall the last time I saw paint used in an airbrush, it comes out in a very fine mist. Even if the resin could flow, It would anticipate a bunch a bubbles. Plus, I don’t know how you would even clean something like that for another use.

Changing the mixing ratios on your resin (resin to hardener) is not a good idea. The resin needs a specific amount of hardener to cure. By reducing the amount of hardener, less heat will be produced. Your resin may only cure to a gooey mess.

Resins generally cast with a glossy finish. If you are casting into a mold, the resin will take on the surface of the mold. If the mold is a matte finish, your resin will be matte as well. The spray you are using is likely your easiest option. You can also sand the resin with sandpaper. Something 600 grit or higher should get you the matte finish without taking off much of the surface.

Ah, pooling of resin. That is an unfortunate evil when working with resin on a curved surface. Short of babysitting the piece, there isn’t much you can do. You can try rotating every couple of minutes and using a tool to scrape resin away from where it is pooling. Are you putting your item on a raised surface? That will allow the resin to drip off the side and not pool directly under your piece.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Resin technique questions’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube