Resin too hot for flowers?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Jenny Orchard

I’m new to resin but I’m getting married in March and want to preserve some flowers from my bouquet. I decided to have a practice so I dried flower in silica gel and gave them a quick spray with sealant / lacquer spray. Then I had great “fun” getting the resin into a sphere mould – note to self buy new mold. I left it it to cure but when I went back an hour or 2 later to check on it the old was very warm to touch, and the flowers (a white rose) had turned brown.
      Did I not use enough sealant? did I use too much hardener? I followed the instructions.
      I did another cold with fake flowers these seem ok but that was also very hot, the flowers wanted to float up how can I keep them in position?
      Sorry so many questions I really want to get this right! Better get some more flowers to dry for a start!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

You are going about this the right way. Yes, practice first!

The first thing I would investigate is whether or not you mixed too much resin. Yes, resin will get warm, but if you mix too much at once, it will get very warm. Ask the manufacturer what their recommended minimum and maximum mixing amounts are.

If you are within those volume numbers, then try a different way to seal your flowers. We have a few ways on how to do that here: https://www.resinobsession.com/tag/drying-flowers

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Resin too hot for flowers?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube