Resin versus glass

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Les:

Caught your site on Google today. I’m new to making cabochons for my hand crafted jewelery site (not yet up and running) and at the present time, I’m working with glass covers. After watching several tutorials on the topic, I’m interested in the difference between glass and resin. I assume resin is lighter that glass. Is it long-lasting? My experiments so far are limited to gluing photos under glass, but I seem to have problems with air bubbles and wonder if resin might be a better alternative. I’m also interested in eco-resins and wonder if they’re as good as Amazing Glaze/Diamond Glaze?
      Any information you can provide would be appreciated. As I live in the UK, I look forward to your reply.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Les,

Welcome to the world of resin! Yes, it can be long lasting although some resins (mainly epoxies) can cure softer than glass. I haven’t ever weighed equal amounts of resin castings and glass cabochons, but in my experience, yes, resin is lighter. Resin works well to fill bezels, but you have to worry about bubbles there too. The good news is that if you are careful in mixing, that will minimize the amount of bubbles you have.

I haven’t used Amazing Glaze, but I think resin produces a thicker, higher dome as compared to Diamond Glaze.

Does this help?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Resin versus glass’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube