Why is my resin bendy? 5 reasons for flexible resin

why is my resin bending?Made resin coasters that could be a Gumby stunt double?  Yeah.  That can make you say curse phrases like skinny monkey carcass.  Now you’re asking yourself, why is my resin bendy?

There are a few reasons why this happens:

1. Your resin needs more time to cure

While resin is curing, it turns semi-solid (think gelatin) but is soft and pliable. In other words, it looks like it’s done curing, but it may not be.

Double-check the cure time for your resin.  If you’re lucky, you simply need to give it more time to cure.

⭐️ BONUS:  This explains how long it takes resin to dry

2. You poured resin in a thin layer

It can be normal for some resins, when poured in a thin layer, to be bendy. Some resins can be flexible after the full cure time. It may get harder by giving it more curing time, but that doesn’t always work. If you want to give the resin extra time to cure, make sure it stays warm and give it another two to seven days to fully cure.

⭐️ BONUS:  If you aren’t sure what the ideal resin curing temperature is, this will help: Resin mixing and curing temperatures

3. Your resin is retaining moisture

When you use colors not designed for resin (like acrylic paints), they’ll add water to your resin. This water keeps your epoxy resin soft.  Or worse–your resin cures sticky.

⭐️ BONUS:  Here’s how to color epoxy resin so you can avoid flexible resin.

4. It may be normal for this resin

Some resins just don’t cure hard. They’ll be bendy when poured in a thin layer or can be dented with a fingernail for thicker pours.

⭐️ BONUS:  Get help choosing the best epoxy for your project to avoid your bendy resin problems.

5. Your resin may be old

Old resin kits that you’ve forgotten about collect moisture, especially if they haven’t been stored properly.  That extra moisture makes your resin cure bendy.

⭐️ BONUS:  Learn how to store resin so it’s at its best.

Here is a recent video I made where I answer the question why is my resin bendy —

Confused about how to make something amazing with resin?

Frustrated that you keep trying and still getting sticky and bendy resin?  I want to help.  I wrote the book Resin Fundamentals with the beginner resin artist in mind.  It cuts through the resin lingo, like doming and deep pour, to give you the essential details you need to know to craft something beautiful.  Buy the book now and get a download link to your email in minutes.

Unpublished Blog Posts of Resin Obsession, LLC © 2023 Resin Obsession, LLC

Like this post? You may be interested in  Two Easy Ways How To Mix Powder Pigment Into Resin

92 thoughts on “Why is my resin bendy? 5 reasons for flexible resin

1. If i add more resin to my bendy piece will it harder more. It is a thin piece. All conditions were perfect, just the amount of resin was thin. Thanks

1. If it’s the same resin that resulted in the bendy resin to begin with, I don’t know that adding more will help to strengthen it.

2. I just started out and the first peices either came out slightly sticky or soft and bendy. I’m using the easy cast epoxy resin and it said curing time is 24 hours, should I wait longer to take them out of the molds? I’m afraid I’m taking them out prematurely.

1. It’s been my experience that EasyCast resin cures soft and bendy. You can try giving them more time, but it may not help.

1. Hi Annette, I’m sorry this is happening to you. You can try giving the resin longer to cure, but that only makes it a little better. What are you making with resin? I’m happy to make another resin recommendation.

1. My resin is bendy & idk how to stop that from happening is it because I took it out to early from the molds. I use pro marine epoxy. I followed the instructions or should I wait more days? Or maybe using it wrong??

3. Hi! I plan on making Car Coasters and am currently using the Allumilite Amazing Clear Cast Resin. I’m a bit of a newbie and did notice that my tester pieces are fired but do have some bend to them. What resin brand would you recommend?

1. Hi Zyla, it sounds like you may be using a resin that cures soft. Have you considered using another resin?

2. Hello
      I made a lot o resin trays using molds with different resin brand i used glaze coat from famowood , i followed the instructions and the temperature was 72 f
      After my trays fully cured they look super solid and hard very hard that is after almost 3-4 weeks yet my trays still bend if u put them on an uneven surface or not solid surface i already have them online for sale and don’t know what happened wrong 2 of them i poured dr crafty resin on them to c if the resin brand is the problem but they still bendy plz help me with this what can i do now

1. Hi Rana, that resin cures soft. What you are experiencing is what I would expect, unfortunately. For your next tray, try a casting resin. They are meant for molds and cure harder. You can buy several in our store.

For pours of 3 ounces or less, the Resin Obsession super clear resin is what you want to use: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-super-clear-resin

For pours of 3 ounces or more, the Resin obsession deep pour casting resin will work: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-deep-pour-resin

1. Hello Katherine, I want to make guitar picks using resin. Thickness should be around 1 mm. What kind of resin is good for it? It must be strong-not bendy at all

4. Hello! I’m doing trays and they all seem to be perfectly cures and hard until i leave them outside with a little bit of warm weather or don’t leave them in flat place and they become flexible🥺!
    What can i do to make them stay always hard and still??
    Im using Art resin And another mexican resin brand and happens with both.
    I put equal parts as directed but Maybe i Should put more hardener than resin ???

1. Hi Tammy, I’ve heard from other customers that Art Resin, even when fully cured, cures soft. Unfortunately, adding more resin isn’t going to fix the problem.

1. are these pieces still ok to sell? As long as we inform the customer to not expose the piece to heat? I’ve been doing some trial and error. I noticed several of my pieces got flexible when in the sunlight, I didn’t know if this happened to all pieces when exposed to heat or if I was doing something wrong. Glad I found this comment.

1. Evening, can you perhaps help me. Iam a complete newbie and I need some info. I want to.make a mould that dries hard…but it must become flexible when heat is added.. what do you recommend I use. Any assist is truly appreciated

5. Hi, I’ve used 2 different resins but both ended up soft and bendy 🙁 I’ve been making it for like 6 times & it ended up the same. I mixed it accurately and tried several places to cure it and it’s still bendy ☹️ Is it the resin or i’m mixing it inaccurately again?

1. Hi Natasha, I’m sorry this is happening to you. It could be the resin you are using. I like to use casting resins for my mold projects.

For pours of 3 ounces or less, the Resin Obsession super clear resin is what you want: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-super-clear-resin

For pours of 3 ounces or more, the Resin obsession deep pour casting resin will work: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-deep-pour-resin

2. Put it in oven at medium temperature for 10 -15 minutes and then let it cool… It will become Rock hard

6. I am new at using epoxy. I am wanting to make a cake plate that is hard and has no bend to it. What can be the best resin to use for this project.

1. Hi Cynthia, I’m afraid I don’t have a good option for you. The resins I have worked with that can make a food-safe surface tend to cure soft and bendy.

7. My question was is it still OK to sell if it is bendy? I’m assuming mine is Bendy because it is a very thin ruler that I am making…or trying to anyway.

1. Hi Trish, I think you need to look at it from the customer perspective. If you were buying a ruler, would you expect it to be bendy? In my opinion, I say no.

8. Hi. Can mixing resin with acrylic paint cause my project to be bendy? I’ve used this epoxy for similar projects. (Ashtrays) and that’s the only thing I did differently. It’s got a slight bend not toooo noticable. Can I still sell it? How can I make it harder without putting more resin on it. I feel like I would mess it up.

9. Hi I just started up and I’ve made a few chopping boards with resin going well until I was running out of resin and still had loads of gardener left so I decided to add more hardener than resin and it’s dried to a rubber bouncy ball consistency it won’t cure now I’m guessing it was the over amount if hardener my question is how do you clean this rubbery resin out

10. i’ve been using the same resin for all of my projects. i don’t have measuring equipment so i usually just use the cap to ratio out the right amount. it has worked so far but recently my resin pieces have been coming out bendy. i moved them to a warmer room since it’s starting to get cold but they’re still coming out quite bendy and gummy. any advice? any way to get these pieces to harden?

11. Hi, I am running into the same bendy resin problem with Artresin, as you mentioned above it cures soft.
    I understand that I need to use the casting resin instead, but I still have a lot Artresin left from my last order, do you think puring in two layers where one layer is Artresin and the second clear layer is casting resin will help?
    Most of my molds are 3/8 inches deep
    Thank you

12. Hi,
    I bought a silicone tray mold and previously I made an ashtray and that hardened really really well. But this time with the tray it didn’t. I thought It was the brand I bought because it was different so I went back and bought color pour but it’s still BENDY and FLIMSY. I read that thinner molds can get bendy. Do you have a recommendation on a good resin to make a silicone tray with ? The ashtrays turned out so beautifully and I was so sad to see my tray so flimsy and bendy .

Thank you!

13. Hi there,
    I am currently using Dr Crafty resin for bookmarks, adding flowers, glitter, inks and powders and have now started trying coasters. I have noticed for a while that my bookmarks always have a slight bend in them (less so if I add nothing to the resin), and now trying coasters i’m guessing this will be similar even though using thicker moulds. Looking at your responses to other comments i’m thinking this may not be the best resin for both? Can I ask what you would recommend for bookmarks and what you would recommend for coasters (if different) please?
    Many thanks

14. I want my resin to be bendy when finished, for 2 different projects.
    1) to attach a piece of woven beads to a leather bracelet or cuff, and
    2) to fill a space also in a cuff-type bracelet-The type that people sometimes squish around their wrists to get a fit that they like. So it won’t be bending TOO much, because the resin will be within a silver wire “frame”. I may set some broken gemstones into the bed of resin.

I saw a video in which someone added alcohol to make their resin flexible. Do you recommend against this?

1. Hi Kathy, adding alcohol to resin also adds moisture, which will make your resin more bendy. You will have to be careful though that you don’t add so much that the resin cures sticky.

15. Hi! I’m just starting out with resin, but I’ve been lucky and have had success with a few pieces. The most recent pieces I tried are still very bendy, but the only difference was I added more mica powder to achieve a more saturated color. The powder is designed for resin, but didn’t come with instructions…so I was winging it, lol. Could the added powder be messing up the mixture to cause extra flexibility? If I leave them in the molds longer will they still potentially harden?

1. Hi Sarah, since powders are usually dry, I wouldn’t expect that to be the problem. I’m more suspicious of the resin you’re using.

16. Hi there, im currently casting resin car badges, but when adding colouring to the resin ive noticed that the underside of the casting is wet and oily, this eventually dries out but when then applying double sided tape to the badge it seems to react with the resin and the tape doesnt stick and there seems to be wetness under the tape…causing it to become unattatched! Help! Could i be using too much colouring? Im using BLACK Polyurethane Pigment and Xencast Polyurethane Resin. Thanks

1. Hmm. Polyurethane resins are fussy about how they take color. Have you reached out to Xencast for help?

17. Help!!! I’ve recently started making keychains with my daughter and we wanted to started putting in flowers and foil. The ones we did that with came out soft and bendy. Where did I go wrong?

18. Hi I’m new to epoxy resin. I purchased a kit online which had the moulds, resin, hardener and pigments. For some reason my coasters are really bendy and more like rubber than a solid plastic.

Any ideas? I want to try again so have purchased Mosuo resin. It had good reviews, so hopefully it might work better last time.

Honestly I don’t even know if I did it right. The kit was 1x small bottle of resin and 1x small bottle of hardener and both mixed together filled the mould so guessing I was meant to use all of it. I mixed them together and then added the pigment and some glitter. I waited 24 hours for it to cure. Its incredibly bendy though and I have no idea what went wrong.

Thanks

19. P.S.
    The colours seemed to fade too. I wanted pink and blue and the pink completely faded so it became just blue. The back of it has white swirls as if the pink pigment turned white.

I want to try again and purchased more pigments and resin online so I need to make sure I am doing it right. I did mix it because I wanted the pink and blue to appear swirly but it seemed as though the colours mixed and faded.

Thanks

20. I recently got resin to make rings and my rings were hard but when I put them in the sun they were flexible? Is there any good resin brands I should try instead? I’ve made 3 batches of rings and all came out the same 🙁

21. Wow, Katherine, whenever I have a question about resin casting, Resin Obsession comes up at the top of my search results. Thanks for patiently sharing your knowledge.

If I stick with resin casting, I’ll make it a point to buy supplies with you.

1. What a wonderful thing to say. We would love the opportunity to help you with your next project!

22. I have a question, I need to make a 1/4 inch sphere that will have a small steel ball encapsulated in it. Where can I find a mold for this? If there are no molds how would I make one?

23. I’m using Art N Glow Resin to cast a set of dice. They retain they shape well and are fairly hard, but I’m able to squeeze them a bit and dig my nail into them. They normally go back to their shape, but I still believe they should cure harder then this. I used about 2 drops of colored alcohol ink and 3 drops of glitter alcohol ink in the mix, if that makes a difference. Followed the cure times. Assistance?

24. I’m just a beginner with resin and I am currently wanting to make keychains and coasters, I’m using the SigWong brand, it was recommended to me by someone who works with resin (a friend of mine) and they never have problems with their pieces turning out hard but mine have been turning out Bendy….could it be the curing time or room temp?

25. Hello I bought a mold to make earrings. It harden well but when I started touching the earring it started getting bendy. So I tried it again just brushing mica powder in the mold and poured my resin and it hasn’t cured yet. How long will it take to cure. I used the left over resin and that one is almost done. It’s been 8 hours.

1. Hi Lupe, I’m not sure how long it will take to cure. Cure times vary amongst resin kits. Do you have kit instructions you can refer to? It should have that information as a part of those details.

26. Thank you Katherine for providing all this information! I did not know that there were different types of resin for casting vs molding.
    Also, to Narinder Singh….thank you for your comment as I tried the oven and it worked!! I didn’t know what ‘medium’ temp in an oven was, so tested one at 170F for 15 minutes. While it’s not ‘rock hard’ it is about 98% hard. Hopefully you see this and can clarify temperature.
    I had several bookmarks made with Epoxy Resin Store as well as Resin Art. The Resin Art weren’t as bendy as the Epoxy Resin Store ones were. The later is not a casting resin, as I found out through this site. Anyway, thank you again for all the comments/answers and look forward to getting some Resin Obsession for next project.

27. I have used epoxy resin to fill multiple voids cracks and splits in an old reclaimed pine worktop but although 90% cured after several days some epoxy still fails the finger nail test and indents slightly before reforming. Not sure if it will set ater a few more days but if not and I have to remove it now does that work ? I can sand the top or scrape it off with a filing knife or blade scraper but how do I remove the epoxy from inside the crack some of which are only 2mm (1/8th “) across and 2cm(3/4”) deep). As it is almost set could I just spread the danish oil over the top which might form a protective film as with the surrounding wood ?

1. Hi Peck, removing that resin will be tedious. Get out as much as you can and let the new resin cover it up.

28. I just started working with resin . My first several pieces were hard but after a couple of weeks got bendy. Why would this happen? I am trying to make jewelry using molds and some molds are not curing, no matter what I do. Please, help.

29. Hi there! i’m making a book holder. It was cured and harden well and cannot be dented with fingernail but after i’m putting weight on it or leaving it attached together for a long time, it’d bent. May i know if all resin like this and if this is normal?

30. Hi
    I used a mold to make a Keurig K-cup holder. It cured hard and I glued the pieces together and put the K-cup holder on my counter
    which is right next to the stove. These pieces have been cured for over a month. It was doing fine until last week we had a very unseasonably hot day and I notices one or two of the 4 sides bowed. I also made a phone stand, I left it to cure for weeks and it was hard. Then I put the phone on it and it bent. I also made a license plate frame for my friend and it was cured for weeks, but it bent on their car ride home, it wasn’t even on the car yet.
    I can’t have these items bending. Can I add some metal or something inside the mold to give it some reinforced strength?

1. I think that’s a good idea to try Cheri. In the meantime, it sounds like you might want to try a harder curing resin for your future projects.

For pours of 3 ounces or less, the Resin Obsession super clear resin is what you want: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-super-clear-resin
      For pours of 3 ounces or more, the Resin obsession deep pour casting resin works great: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-deep-pour-resin

If you need help figuring out how much resin you need, our free resin calculator can do it for you: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-calculator/

31. Hi, I am using colorberry geode resin. Why is my resin becoming bendy even after 24 hours? Is there a particular temperature the resin is supposed to cure?

32. Hello! My hubby bought me a hair clip mold kit off Amazon and I purchased the amazing casting resin kit from HL. I used a silicone measuring cup and (I thought) they were equal parts. I measured “A” to the 20 and “B” to the 40, stirred the giving amount of time and poured the hair clips. I added glitter that I was told was great for resin. Annnnd out of nine clip molds only two will even come out of the mold. They have been sitting for 2 full days. And they are bendy and super sticky. Can anything be to help them? I read some comments about a spray? This was my first time, so all of this is so new to me! Thanks!!!

33. Is it possible to put more resin over the rubbery one it says 72 hours but it hasn’t hardened and it’s new resin as well. I need this project done before the 30th

1. Hi Sissy, you can do that. But if you’re using the same resin for the second layer, it will be rubbery too.

34. Hello!!

I have a BUNCH of marine epoxy resin that is meant for boats/floors and is flexible. I’m trying to figure out some things I can make with it as a new-stay-at-home-mom-side gig-! Here are a few thoughts I had however I would appreciate any other suggestions or thoughts on my current ideas.
    -Wood coaster (pour over top epoxy resin designs)
    -Tumblers (I saw that they must be stainless steel double wall…will flexible epoxy work for this type of project)

I greatly appreciate your time and dedication.

Cheers (:

1. htps://coloredepoxies.com/products/3-gallon-clear-collection

This is the epoxy resin that I have specifically..

35. hi my resin is also bendy. its not sticky but just bendy. i did use hard cure resin and it is supposed to cure hard as a rock(the package says). but a week later and it is still bendy. i made sure to use the measuring cups that came with it. and measured exactly equal amounts. i am making self defense items and well can have a bendy self defense item. please help

36. poured a table 1 1/2 in thick using rockstar 5 star deep cast. 3 to 1 ratiopoured half with colorthen flood coat . drying now for 10 days still flexible.top of peice feels hard and can sand. but still slowly flexes . mixed the correct way,

37. Hi. I am making stone tile coasters. I am using Envirotex Lite Pour On. I have made at least a dozen of these, which all turned out fine. I sanded down the original coat of resin I poured on my 2 latest coasters because I was dissatisfied with the results. I poured a new coat on. This time I forgot to double mix the resin. I realized my mistake about 10-15 minutes after pouring the resin. Instead of scraping that layer off, I panicked and mixed up a new batch properly and poured that over the single-mixed batch. Surprisingly, no bubbles remained on the surface after 15 minutes or so. I checked on the runoff resin 24 hours later. It was hard, but flexible. The coasters themselves feel sufficiently hard when I touch the sides. Have I totally ruined my project? Should I start over? Should I let it cure for a week? Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry for the lengthiness.

38. Hi,I am using Magic resin.some time the result are perfect super cute but sometimes it’s bandy.i used silicone molds.

39. I’m trying to re-create a center brace for an aquarium, using resin. I currently have Art Resin, but I doubt that will work. It cures pretty hard – enough that I can’t bend it easily, myself. But if I prop it up on something, it will bend within 10 minutes, even after curing for a week.

Do you know of a resin that can *really* hold it’s shape? I’m using a silicone mold to craft it, and then I will have to sand parts of it down to hold the glass lids level with the tank’s trim. The two ends will then be attached to the plastic trim on top of the tank, using fresh resin. The appearance really doesn’t matter, but the rigidity definitely does. If adding extra hardener would make it work (even if it leaves me with a mere 1-2 minutes to pour it) that’s fine.

My husband also has “clear coat” for cars out in the garage, which seems to be a type of epoxy resin. It’s two parts that are mixed together (one part is hardener, like resin requires) and then gets put into a sprayer to apply to a car. But if I could use that, it would save time and money, since we already have it. The car-type requires a thinner to put it in a sprayer, which wouldn’t matter if I’m just hand-mixing and pouring into a mold.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube