Resin will cure, but still be soft enough to leave a nail print/ bends?

Resin Obsession – Resin Art, Crafts & Jewelry Supplies Forums Resin Troubleshooting Resin will cure, but still be soft enough to leave a nail print/ bends?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Jenelle

Hello, I need help as I’ve tried trouble shooting every idea. I’ve tried two different resin brands now, envirotex, and now artresin. I feel a bit disheartened and frustrated now as every time my pieces cure, they can bend just slightly and fingernail marks are easily left if you press your nail against them. I’ve mixed thoroughly, fallowed instructions and tried to measure exact. I’ve been using the measuring cups I purchased from here at resin obsession and some hard clear plastic cups from the grocery store to add the resin into. I’m at a loss of what to do as I’ve invested so much I don’t want to give up.. but I have yet to see one, nice hard/ perfect piece since I’ve been trying and I’ve gone through almost 32 oz of resin.

Any suggestions or help? Has anyone had a problem with this? I live in Chicago so the weather has been pretty nice and perfect/ 72 lately. I’m just really confused and can’t figure out any answer for myself.

• #3663 Reply
      Jenelle

I’ve also read Resin Obsessions suggestions here: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/12-reasons-why-your-resin-didnt-cure

And I still ca’t figure out what on earth I’m doing wrong :(. Has anyone else ever had this issue?

• #3716 Reply
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I’m sorry to hear you are having such problems. 🙁 How much total resin are you mixing at once and how thin/thick are your castings?

• #3750 Reply
      Jenelle

My castings range from very thin (about 1mm-3mm as a clear bottom coat to prep for whatever I want to put in it like stickers or glitter) and some pieces are about 1cm-1.5cm thick. Nothing too crazy, just average small jewelry molds. I usually mix a total of 4 tbs (2 tbs hardener, 2 resin) 30ML each – 60 together according to my resin obsession measuring cups. I’ve tried making sure I had clean fresh cups, tries different mixing cups as I was afraid perhaps that was it. The little measuring cups I have have slight raised numbers on the inside of it… do you think that could be affecting or hurting it at all in terms of getting an even amount out? 🙁 I’ve been at this trying for almost a full year now but I keep ending up with the same result. I thought about getting a small kitchen scale to just weigh it exactly.. but I’m scared of investing more money into a hobby that I’ve just had no luck with.

• #3751 Reply
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Which resin are you using? Most likely you are mixing enough resin and hardener, but I would check with the manufacturer to be sure. The thinness of your castings is mostly likely your problem. I would expect a couple of mm thick to cure ‘bendy’. The ironic part is that the thinner the casting, the longer it can take for it to cure as well because enough heat isn’t generated during curing. You can try curing your pieces in a ‘hot box’ to see if that makes a difference as well. (Hot box topic covered here — https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-resin-resin/casting-resin-in-cold-temperatures )

• #3753 Reply
      Jenelle

Will do. I assumed it was just me messing up as it’s happened to me with two different resins now :(. First time was envirotex lite that I purchased off resin obsession itself, and this time I was trying artresin. (http://www.artresin.com/) usually I just do typical pendants for jewelry. (like the basic molds they sell on here.)

• #3782 Reply
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

You may want to consider a different resin. Both of those are meant to be poured as coatings, not necessarily in jewelry molds. They are meant to have a ‘back’ (like a painting, tabletop, etc.) to help reinforce the resin.

• #3813 Reply
      Jenelle

Is there a simple jewelry resin you’d recommend? I asked art resin if jewelry pieces would come out well from their product and they assured me they would. Disappointing :(.

• #3817 Reply
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

For molds, the Resin Obsession super clear resin works very well. It cures hard and crystal clear. http://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/products/resin-obsession-super-clear-resin-6-oz-kit-jewelry-quality-resin It mixes with a thin viscosity, so if you are careful, bubbles are almost never a problem. It has to be used in something with ‘sides’ though, like a bezel or mold. It is not suitable for doming. This is a link to an FAQ on the resin: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/resin-obsession-super-clear-resin-faq

• #84627 Reply
      Keti

Hello, I’ve been having the same issue with my molds coming out bendy. Can you recommend which resin I can use moving forward? I’ll be making Christmas ornaments with glitter in them and want the resin to cure hard? I’d like to layer as well in the mold.
      Thanks!

Viewing 9 reply threads
Reply To: Resin will cure, but still be soft enough to leave a nail print/ bends?
Your information: