Resins with Metal Hardness?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      DanB

Greets all,

I am currently exploring a concept, which may or may not be viable. My faculty gives an award named after a Medallion, but unfortunately the award as presented, is just a plaque with a metal etch of the medal in question. Today we were just brain storming a few ideas (such as 3D scanning the medal and printing a face to mount on the plaque, etc) and came up actually trying to Stamp a copy of one face of the medal in pewter or brass.

Then obviously we started to consider how we could do this – the idea here is to make a simple cast of the ‘heads’ face of the medal in some sort of epoxy, and use that to make a single impression in some material (probably just using a simple hydraulic press).

So is there such a resin that will produce a crisp ‘copy’ of the face, and then survive the sorts of pressures required to imprint on softer metals? It doesn’t need to be long lasting (say 2-3 presses – a test pressing, then two ‘chances’ at getting it right) as we’re only doing this once a year.

Is this a dead-end (meaning we go back and start to look at ‘borrowing’ 😉 a hi-res 3D scanner, and explore that path) or plausible?

Cheers all 🙂

Dan

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Dan,

This is a neat idea!

While you can get crisp details in resin (assuming your mold is made that way), I wouldn’t expect it to survive the pressure or heat of printing it into metal. If you wanted to try, a hard-curing polyurethane resin is what I would use.

If you try this, would you mind letting us know how it goes?

Dan B

Yeah, it is an interesting little experiment.

I know that there are resins that have significantly harder ‘hardnesses’ than say Pewter, but its that pressing pressure that I feel will be the issue.

The concept as is, into ‘collar’ the resin in a Steel Pipe, to help ‘hold things together’, in a attempt to keep the forces going through the resin in a single direction (instead of compression allowing the resin to expand sideways, under pressure).

Must look into some harder curing PU’s then! Any idea where to start?

Dan

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

You can try Alumilite or Smooth-on. They have several polyurethane resins.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resins with Metal Hardness?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube