This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Kim 5 months, 2 weeks ago.
- May 25, 2016 at 1:23 pm #5665
This question comes through email by Diana:
I was concerned about safety issues when working with resin.
I know I have to be in a well ventilated area when mixing the resin and the hardener, but do I also need to keep my piece in a well ventilated area when I it is curing? I usually cover with foil to keep out dust but is that enough?
When I get the resin on my hands, I wash it off with soap, am I safe?
When you talk about needing goggles, is that to prevent the possibility of resin splashing in my eyes or when getting particles when I am sanding or am I in danger from the fumes?
- May 25, 2016 at 1:37 pm #5666
Yes, I would recommend the piece stay in a well ventilated area while it is curing as well. Keeping it covered to keep out dust is a good idea and will help a wee bit with the fumes, but until it has reached the demolding time, I would keep the ventilation good in the area. If you have a room that you can dedicate to resin casting, you can leave the room when you are done casting, close the doors, but perhaps leave a window open and use a fan to circulate the air.
If you get resin on your hands, I would recommend washing it off with a good detergent and water. Don’t use alcohol or acetone as this will likely make the irritation worse. I would also suggest making yourself familiar with the SDS information on the resin product you are using. Included are safety measures on how to handle spills, etc. and when to seek medical attention if necessary.
The goggles are important in case the resin splashes in your eyes and when you are sanding. It won’t do much to keep fumes out of your eyes. If that is a concern or you find you are extra sensitive to the fumes, then I would suggest working the resin underneath a ventilation hood which can evacuate fumes away from you while you are working.
We also have a safety section that goes over additional information as well: https://www.resinobsession.com/tag/safety
- May 27, 2016 at 4:49 pm #5693
I worry a bit about safety issues too. For me in winter it is not possible to ventilate my kitchen. I’d be way too cold, for me and the resin. I also can’t keep a fan on, we pay a lot for electricity here in Germany. In summer I keep my window half open all the time. I do worry because in winter I work hour at end woth resin and can not open the door (cats) or window. How do others do it? I can’t imagine everyone having a seperate room just for crafting.
- May 27, 2016 at 10:32 pm #5697
Do you have a small closet or bathroom you can try? I am quite lucky that working resin in Florida is generally a good environment to do so for a large portion of the year.
- February 22, 2018 at 9:42 pm #12382
What can I do in a windowless bathroom? I am really at a loss for how I can have a heater in a room and then opening the window makes the temp drop big time. Thanks.
- February 24, 2018 at 1:19 am #12407
You can try making a hot box like shown in this article: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-resin-resin/resin-casting-in-cold-weather
- May 28, 2016 at 2:48 pm #5698
in my limited experience, depending on the type of resin you use, the ventilation is not 100% required. i have a small house and do my resin projects on my dining room table since it’s the most open area in our house (which is a pain in the winter because it’s also one of the more difficult rooms to keep warm). since i use only the low-odor epoxy resins, it seems to be just fine, at least in regards to the smell.
getting resin on my skin, on the other hand, i am extremely careful about. when i first started using resin (easy cast), i tried not to get it on my skin but i never wore gloves. and it only took a few times for me to have a reaction, not only to where it touched my skin when i cleaned out the mixing cup for reusal but also wherever the fumes came in contact with my skin (wrists, arms, neck, face) that was miserable lasted over a month. even when i wore a painter’s mask and long sleeves, i’d still have some reaction issues. i’ve since switched resin (had the WORST luck with easy cast curing anyway) and haven’t had as many issues, but now i still always wear gloves and try to avoid holding my arms or face directly over the resin i’ve just poured. so please, please be careful!
- November 2, 2016 at 8:51 am #6999
Hi, I have questions. When making a piece that involves several layers of resin, which require fully curing each layer before adding the next, would you wear a ventilator mask during the entire process? If you want to draw on a fully cured layer or apply some kind of artwork to it with pen or brush, still need to wear a ventilator mask while doing that? Thanks.
- November 2, 2016 at 1:16 pm #7001
If your resin has fully cured, you should not need a ventilator mask.
- December 23, 2017 at 9:59 am #11489
I have been using Plaster of Paris to cast small ornaments, but found that, apart from being heavy to post, most of the ones I sell on a craft stall are bought for children. I thought resin would be less likely to break if dropped. I am concerned about the safety issues when working with resin and is it safe for a child to play with once thoroughly dried? Is one type safer than another? I live in UK, and too cold in winter to work outside. It may have to be a summer occupation. regards Jan
- December 23, 2017 at 12:13 pm #11493
Hi Jan, you may want to consider using the Alumilite Amazing clear cast epoxy resin. It can be found in our shop here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/alumilite It is considered FDA food safe once fully cured.
- January 30, 2019 at 3:07 pm #29429
I’ve just started trying resin and alcohol inks, and have found mixed information online about safety which is making me anxious about carrying on with my new hobby. Im worried if the resin/ink fumes are dangerous to me or to others in my house (including pets). I dont have space for a dedicated crafting room. I live in UK so keeping back door constantly open would make room too cold and also impractical if have to leave open for full 24hours curing time. I dont use a ventilator mask but getting one only helps protect me not others in my house. Advice would be appriciated thank you.