Sea glass in resin

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes through email by Stephanie:

Hi! I found your Resin Obsession site and you seem to be the expert resin person. I checked your site but I did not see anything relating to my question. I am interested in casting sea glass in resin. I tried this with clear resin and small pieces of glass but the resin made the sea glass appear shiny and this resembled small bits of candy rather than frosted sea glass. I did try to seal each piece of glass as well but the end result was the same. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any creative ideas you share!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Stephanie,

The challenge is going to be that when the surface of the glass gets wet, it’s not going to look as shiny. What the resin did to your sea glass is no different that what I would expect if you put your sea glass in water. Here are a couple of suggestions:

1. Take the sea glass and rough it up with some very coarse sandpaper.
      2. Apply some kind of coating that makes the sea glass look frosted. I know there are aerosol sprays that add a frosted look to glass. I would try coating your glass with a frosted spray, then test it. You may need to coat it with a second, clear spray, in order for the frosted spray to stay frosted looking when it gets wet.

If you give this project a try, please let us see some pictures!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Sea glass in resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube