Severe Allergy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Theresa Belk

Hi, I have been making Resin Christmas ornaments for 2 years, this last year they really took off. My problem I use a respirator and Nitrile gloves and still get scaly patches on my face. My initial problem started with getting resin on me. My eyes swelled shut over night. Since then I’m careful, but just being in the room curing gives me problems, I have an eyelid that has permanently drooped a little because of the swelling. My husband has taken an old laundry room with a vent to the outside and that’s where I cure now, but I still have problems. I use epoxy resin and I love the crystal clear ornaments, but I am looking for something that I can try with the same beautiful results, that hopefully I won’t be allergic to. Polyurethane is a No! Does anyone know anything about the properties of the chemicals in the polyester? I’m desperate to find another material I can use, I need to start manufacturing for Christmas soon. Thanks so much, Theresa

Ana Atkins

I was exactly the same and was about to give up but then one final shot and I tried an epoxy resin that voc free and the mixture was 3:1 ratio and it worked. You see the problem we have is the curing and whatever, comes off it in the way of vapours/fumes that seems to be what effects us. With this ratio the curing time is so much longer which to me means I can make my items and be out of the room long before anything starts to cause a reaction. Before I found thus supplier (I am in the UK and they are on ebay) I did think about trying UV epoxy resin as again, we can get out of the way before curing starts. Hope this helps.

Gail Wheeler Berish

All I have ever used is GLAZE COAT Pour on Hight Gloss Epoxy Resin. I started using it about 4 weeks ago. The only protection I used was Nitrile gloves (no breathing protection). Started breaking out in very large watery looking blisters all parts of my body. I was also trying to finish up a very old leaded stained glass piece that needed repair. Again no protection (blame it on my age). Dilemma – Didn’t know which craft was causing the blisters. The blisters have gone away with a few returning now and then. I am using more and more protection. But this article said the least reaction will come from Epoxy Resin. So don’t know if I can continue pouring. Will experiment slowly and see what happens. I pour in Central Texas, USA where it is burning hot at least 5 months of the year so have the AC on and house stays cool. If I shut it off my Orchids die off. They like it cold. Resin likes it warm. I have noticed the difference so trying to figure out two serious problems. Any suggestion could help. Thanks

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Severe Allergy’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube