Silicone molds end up not shiny?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Hannah

Is that characteristic of silicone casts? I mixed up some resin with glitter and translucent color and cast one piece in a silicone mold and the other in a plastic Resin Obsession mold. I just had extra resin so I wanted to do something with it xD the plastic mold released a shiny, sparkly cast. The silicone mold is shiny on the back where the resin touched the air, but dull where the resin was against the silicone. I know I can out gloss coats on the resin, I just wanted to know if I need to calculate adding that step into all my casting with this and any future silicone mold uses. Cuz I love using the mold. Just not the dull surface xD

Katherine Swift

Hannah,

The silicone mold will impart onto the casting the surface of whatever was used to make the mold.  An extreme example would be using coarse sandpaper on a bangle, then casting it into a silicone mold shape.  That roughness will impart onto future castings.

If youre making the mold yourself, make sure you use a highly polished template if you want a shiny finish on your castings.

The resin gloss spray should work to get it looking good again, or you can coat with another layer of resin.

Karen

Ive also had this problem with silicone molds.  Im curious…was it a mold you made yourself or one that you purchased?  Ive used Amazing Craft (or something like it) mold putty and had horrible results.  I actually just bought some Ooo-moo molding stuff so I will experiment at some point as that has been recommended to me for better homemade mold results for resin pooring. 

Good luck.

LadyAnn

I have used the Smooth On Dragon Skin and mine comes out dull aswell. Did you have better results with the ooomoo?

Would love to find a good material to make our own with or is there something we can coat the silicone in that will be fine with resin and give it the gloss shine?

Jade

Reviving this to see if anyone ever got good shiny mold surfaces- how’s it going, everyone? Any new products or tricks to recommend?

Tonya Lane

Oomoo30 is great. Comes out shiny if your molding piece is shiNY.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

As long as your template is shiny, any silicone used to make a mold from it should end up shiny.

steve

Use some wood varnish to gloss your dull items, it makes them shiny again 🙂

Lisa Hainline

I used AMAZING resin in two different molds and one batch came out with a Matt finish. The mold is duller but smooth, no surface texture BUT light does not refract on it like the shiny surface did with it’s shiny batch. If light refracts back to like glass, use it but pads on those that do not, I’m learning.(I have pics if anyone wants to email me).

Angela

Alcohol for dull looking epoxy and heat gun or torch for a glass finish!

Randy

I have a lot of molds and this has happened to me as well. I’ve bought 8 of the same exact silicone molds, and one would come out dull/matte-looking. When I popped the resin out, I could see it was in the mold itself. It was different looking and kinda dull itself. I just throw them away. Can’t have that now can we? 😉

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I explain more in this video:

https://youtu.be/9wQIp4_mIRM

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Silicone molds end up not shiny?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube