Stains on papers when using resin

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Mary Ann:

Let me start by saying you have a great website. Found it useful.
      So, I’ve been making a lot of memory bracelets for my friends. I’m framing pictures in the little frames and I’m finding lately that the paper is getting saturated by the resin. I treat the paper twice over on both sides with Modge Podge and I find that it still bleeds through. Can you direct me or can you tell me what other methods you can use to seal the paper or what type of paper you use when you want to make framed photos in resin.
      Any information guidance or direction would be really helpful.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Mary Ann,

Thank you for the kind words. 🙂 I’m glad to know we can be of help.

As for your papers, I like to seal them with two coats of a clear drying glue on the front, back and sides of the paper. It sounds like you have the front and back covered, so I would suggest dotting some glue on the sides. To use them in your bezels, you will need to glue them in, then seal with another layer of glue on top. Be sure this glue is dry before pouring the resin, otherwise, the moisture will wick in. It stays fairly humid where I’m at all year long, so I like to wait at least 12 hours after applying my last layer of glue before pouring resin.

If none of this works, you can seal your images with clear packing tape and trimming to fit your bezel. (Be sure to leave a margin.) You can see what I’m talking about in this video on our youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86R7QBst4_o

You could also look for ‘tyger’ paper. It doesn’t take up water stains when you use it with resin. When I have used it, I have printed it through my laser printer (don’t know how well it works with an ink jet) and it tends to ‘tear’ instead of cut nicely. I found out about it at my local print shop. If you don’t want to invest a lot in buying the paper or don’t have a laser printer, they may be able to print out the images on tyger paper for you to use.

Let me know if this helps you.

Corey

What kind of clear glue do you suggest for the paper?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

@Corey, any clear drying, white glue should work. We have this one in our store:

https://shop.resinobsession.com/products/ultra-seal-sealant-and-glue

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Stains on papers when using resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube