sticky piece

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Diana

I have had problems with two pieces where the top of the dome (about dime sized) did not cure. The rest of the pieces look fine. I thought that maybe there was something wrong with the mold, but I tried curing using a very small amount of resin using the same mold and it came out perfectly. Any ideas about what the problem could be?

Thank you.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

When you say top of the dome, are you referring to the top on the surface exposed to air or the top of the dome that was immediately next to the mold surface?

Diana

I’m talking about the part next to mold surface, not exposed to air.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

What did you use for a mold release? Plastic mold or silicone mold?

Diana

It is mold release conditioner by Castin Craft. I used a silicone mold.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I’m wondering if your mold release is pooling and not completely dry before casting. Do you recall seeing a puddle before pouring?

Diana

I was very careful to make sure it was dry. The first time it happened, that’s what I thought went wrong, and the next time, it was dry, so I don’t get it. Good news is that I applied more resin to the sticky part and sanded it after it hardened and put another coat of resin over the whole piece. It now looks beautiful. The first paper weight was perfect which I gave to my friend as a birthday gift. I guess it was beginner’s luck!

Thanks very much.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hmm. I don’t have any other explanations for what could be going on. 🙁 Glad to hear, though, that you were able to fix it!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The topic ‘sticky piece’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube