sticky resin on artwork

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Karen:

I do large pieces of artwork and just started to use resin to cover it so the pieces of glass I work with on canvas are fixed in place. Problem – I used a gallon of envirotex lite both the resin and hardener. It might have been too old (like 15 years old) and while I mixed and poured one to one, it won’t dry on a large canvas which is 36 x 36. Can I buy a new batch of resin and hardener and pour over it so it will harden and dry? Can I pour it on the piece in my air conditioned home which is about 74 degrees? What is the best way to distribute it so you have as little drip off as possible because it got to be a sticky mess in my garage…

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Karen,

Unfortunately, I wouldn’t expect resin that old to cure. That is likely what happened here. Did the resin on your artwork cure at all? If it’s mostly cured, but sticky in places, then yes, another coating should be fine. If the entire pour is still syrup-y, you are going to have to scrape off as much as possible before pouring another layer.

Your home temperature of 74F is ideal for resin pouring. Yes, that will be great.

When pouring a piece that large, it is almost impossible to not have any resin drip off the sides. I would suggest having a large plastic tarp underneath your piece to get the spilled resin.

Karen Berk

Thanks so much! Yes, I realize that I need to have a tarp. I did in the garage as well…I think it is it cured in some places but a lot gathered in the center sagging of the canvas – I didn’t take that into consideration because it was my first large piece. I definitely can’t scrape anything off – it will look awful but I can try a new coat…any thoughts?

Also, thoughts about large canvases and preventing the sagging in the center?

Blessings and thank you.
      Karen

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Since you can’t scrape it off, the resin must be partially cured? Is it syrup-y or tape tacky?

Something like a stack of newspapers or pizza boxes can be used to help support the center. Some well placed paint sticks can help too. You can see what I’m talking about in this article: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-art/surfaces-for-resin-artwork

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘sticky resin on artwork’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube