Sticky resin on part of project — big whoops

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Tom Snow

Hey guys,

Searched the forum first, saw SOME situations similar to mine but nothing exact, so figured I’d try posting to see if anyone had thoughts. First ever resin project, PROBABLY should’ve started with something much smaller and less complicated, but here we are.

Making a 4′ x 6′ tabletop, for out on my deck, semi-outdoors (it’s covered by the deck so not much direct sun/rain, but pollen, bugs, etc. do float around). Last weekend I started this project in my buddy’s garage, did a series of pours to eventually get the whole thing coated. Based on what I’ve read online, on one of the pours I must have had a mixing issue, as one small section (maybe a 2′ x 3′ area) never hardened and remains sticky/goopy over a week later. I have read a few things about scraping those parts off and re-pouring on that area, have scraped down a fair amount and eventually is just sticky, but not too much of the stuff comes up anymore.

Any further recommendations before I re-pour over this section? Once I do that and it cures, any recommendations for how to make the re-poured and original sections blend together neatly? Is it a matter of sanding/polishing?

Not sure if it’s possible to share photos on here, but if photos would be helpful I’m happy to share! Really appreciate any input you’d be able to provide, as I’m a bit “stuck.”

Thanks!
      Tom

bubbabgone

Tom, unrelated, but I’ve found that rather than sanding forever, a card scraper does pretty quick work on resin to make it level with wood.

I have a similar problem to yours Tom.
      I have some sticky areas among many individual areas of resin that have cured nicely. The resin had to be applied in several pours.
      1) I wondered if they will ever cure if left alone long enough.
      2) I wondered if a coating of hardener over the uncured resin would help cure it.
      3) I wonder if I’ll have to dig out the uncured areas and re-pour.
      4) will extra hardener assure a faster cure, or lead to other problems?

I don’t know the answers but I hope someone does.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Tom,

This article walks you through the steps you need to take to fix this: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/how-to-fix-sticky-resin/

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Sticky resin on part of project — big whoops’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube