Stool Top Project Advice

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Lynne

Hi – Great website!! I am doing a kitchen stool renovation and am in need of advice for how to finish the top of the stool. I have painted the stools with a Fusion Mineral paint (similar to chalk paint). I would like to glue (probably with mod podge) burlap coffee sack material to the top of the stool and then cover it with some type of resin top. Here are my questions:
      1 – Which type of resin do you recommend? I have worked with it on craft projects before – so not completely new at it. I am thinking one of the polyurethane types because it needs to be as durable as possible. I am not worried about it yellowing as it ages.
      2 – What kind of mold should I wrap around the stool to prevent it from spilling off? First, I was thinking of tape – easiest for sure! Or getting a needlepoint ring and lining it with wax paper (or other material depending on which product I use). Its ok if the edge is raw because I am going to finish it with either a burlap or leather wrap.

3- Will it stick to the burlap or will it pop off with use? I could let the resin run down the sides for more surface area for it to stick to since I am covering the sides of the top of the stool.

I might be better off buying a piece of clear vinyl and just covering the top of the stool with that – but I thought resin would be way cooler!
      Thanks!!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Lynne,

Wow, what a neat project! I will answer your questions in numbers to match above:

1. While polyurethane resins are very durable, I would not use one for this project because they are not self-leveling. A doming epoxy resin is what I would use here. The Resin Obsession artwork resin is my first choice. You can find it in several sizes in our shop here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-artwork-resin

2. Good quality masking or painters tape will work well to create a dam around the seat.

3. Provided the surface of your seat is clean, the resin will adhere without any problems. Resin won’t stick to anything waxy or greasy, so make sure anything like that is off the top of the stool before pouring.

Good luck. I would love to see pictures of this when you are done!

Lynne

Not to be a bother…. I have 4 stools and the tops have a 12″ diameter. How much Alumilite do you think I should order? I will absolutely send pictures!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Stool Top Project Advice’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube