Strange ‘watermark’ reaction on cured surface

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Lynsey

Hi there,

I’ve encountered an issue where after doming my resin and allow it to cure it comes out with a weird watermark on the very surface of the resin. The resin itself it cured very hard and it’s been left to cure covered so it’s not a matter of settling dust or anything.

I’m confident I’ve mixed throughly and have transferred to a new cup to mix again. This is about the 6th batch that have turned out with this strange surface imperfection. Am I holding the flame too close or something when popping bubbles, would that cause this?

Has anyone encountered this or know what it could be?

https://imgur.com/a/nPFPCiz

Thanks!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Lynsey,

What kind/brand of resin are you using?

Lynsey

Hello!

I’m in Australia and using Barnes Epoxycast Clear resin. I noticed Resin Obsession sell resin but I’m not sure what type is the best or whether shipping to Australia is an option.

htp://www.barnes.com.au/epoxy-resin/epoxycast-clear-casting-resin-1240

Thanks,
        Lynsey

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

It sounds like you may be mixing too much at once and the resin is overheating. Do you know what the maximum mixing amount for this resin is?

Kara Vergara

Hi! I think we have a similar problem. I’ve been working with resin for almost a month now and haven’t had gotten any problems so far —
      but on my most recent pour, Ive been seeing these web-like patterns on the surface of my resin and they’re only visible when I move them around the light. Ive tried searching in the net but cant seem to find answers. Have you figured out why? Im trying to post a photo but can’t seem to figure out how as well.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Are you using a straw to blow over the surface to remove bubbles?

Robyn

Hi Lynsey, I have had this problem for some time (novice) but the first few items it did not occur. Yesterday and today I tried something different, I measured in my regular measuring cups and then transferred resin and hardener to a silicone cup and mixed. Yay, no more funny marks. What I think was happening was even though I mixed and scraped and stirred and stirred, the grooves where the measurements are on the inside still harbored some unmixed product and that may have been the bit to come out last and therefor on top and cause the dull webbing. I realise this is an old post but it might help someone.

Ross

Same problem. Using Platinum Ultra Clear. Occurred on a large river table pour. Definitely mixed thoroughly and not a deep pour. Using methylated spirit spray to pop surface bubbles. Have photo but can’t see how to post.

Ross

BTW, typed long form of this question, but your web site threw a Pop Up advert at me, which blew away my detailed question before I could submit it.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Strange ‘watermark’ reaction on cured surface’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube