Streaks reappearing after mixing

• This topic has 4 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 3 years ago by Nina L.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Nina L

So I have a bit of a catch-22 here: I mix my resin thoroughly until there are no streaks, this inevitably causes lots of microbubbles, so I leave the mixed resin to sit on my radiator for a few minutes. This clears the bubbles, but then the streaks reappear, making me think perhaps the resin and the hardener are starting to separate. So I’m forced to mix again, which causes even more bubbles to appear. By this point, the resin is getting sticky and unusable. So, I guess my question is: are the streaks I’m seeing re-emerge definitely a sign of the resin parts separating? Or could I just ignore them and pour?

I do pre-warm my resin and hardener but that doesn’t seem to fully eliminate microbubbles, so leaving the mixed resin to sit is pretty essential to get rid of the bubbles and the only thing that has worked for me so far.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Nina,

This is strange! I’m not sure what to make of streaks reappearing.

Since you’re having a problem with microbubbles though, it sounds like a different resin may be better for you. How are you using your resin?

Nina L

I use a standard 24 hour epoxy resin at the moment. I wonder if UV resin or another type would work better to avoid bubbles?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Nina,

Since you are using resin in molds, a casting resin is the best choice here. They are designed to mix and cure bubble-free, which makes them an ideal choice for molds.

For pours of 3 ounces or less, the Resin Obsession super clear resin is what you want:  https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-super-clear-resin

For pours of 3 ounces or more, the Resin obsession deep pour casting resin works great:  https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-deep-pour-resin

Nina L

Ok I will look into those, thank you!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Streaks reappearing after mixing’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube