Suggestions for clear, buff-able resin for a large eye

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Michael

I need help making a retirement present for a family member. I plan on using some photographs of nebulae, galaxies and planets, transferred to some high quality photo paper, taken by a family member with an observatory telescope. Then placing them behind a domed shaped disc and framing it. So I would like to make a large, dome shaped crystal clear cast, that can be polished and buffed. Maybe around 6-8 inches in diameter, not sure how thick, maybe 1/2 inch? maybe more thickness isn’t an issue for the project, so any thickness really? Enough to give it that domed eyeball look. It doesn’t have to dome by itself, i was thinking i would make a dome shaped mold and pour the resin in, let it harden, then adhering the photograph to the flat side of the mold with some more resin, or maybe some clear coat. He used to talk about staring into the abyss for too long, I thought it would be interesting to give him a couple of his published photos to hang on the wall and stare back at him. Might seem strange but hey he stared at the night sky every night for 40 years, he’s kind of a “space” case guy. So i’m wondering what kinda of resin would be best, and what method should i use to “imprint” the photograph onto the back. Maybe even a piece of fracture glass instead of a photograph.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Since you want to polish it, a polyester resin is what I would use.

You will need to pour in layers. Put the photograph into the layer where you want it to stay.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Suggestions for clear, buff-able resin for a large eye’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube