Super clear resin Outdoor curing questions

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Dan

I am using resin obsession’s super clear resin. If I cure resin outdoors and cover it with a box will it be safe from yellowing if I leave it outside for a week?

Also, the instructions says the resin will be fully cured in one week. I plan on making some 2x2x2 cube molds. Will I still need to wear ppe such as a face mask respirator when handling resin during the one week curing period?

Additionally, can I leave the resin inside the mold and de mold it after the one week is over? Or is it recommended to demold the resin after 24 hours instead?

Will all the fumes from the resin still be there after I take the box off? Or will it be gone? Will the fumes stick to the resin cubes/mold if it’s in a covered/sealed box outside?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Dan,

Great questions! I’m glad to hear you’re taking safety seriously.

If your resin is under a box that the sun doesn’t penetrate and it’s in the shade, it will be fine. The resin is 90% cured in 12 hours, so you can bring it inside and demold at that time. Any fumes will be gone by then. The extra curing days let you get that bit of extra hardness.

Since you’ll be using the super clear resin in small volumes (3 ounces or less) outside, a respirator isn’t absolutely necessary, but I don’t want to discourage you from wearing it if it makes you feel safer. If you’re curious as to what I do for ventilation, there’s a video on this page: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/can-epoxy-resin-make-you-sick/

You don’t have to demold right away. I’ve left cured resin in molds for days before demolding. But, it will be formed enough to demold in a day. You can remove your cube from the mold, then set it aside for the other 6 days and use the mold for a new project.

Dan

Thanks for the clarification. I have another question regarding storing finished super clear resin projects. If I store a finished resin cube in a dark place away from light will the resin still retain its clarity? Or will it still yellow? How long would it generally last in a dark storage area?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Dan,

Keeping cured resin out of direct sunlight definitely helps it stay clearer longer.

It’s hard to estimate how long a resin will stay clear. I hope it would be years, but it’s hard to pinpoint exactly.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Super clear resin Outdoor curing questions’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube