Thick Dip Coat

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Kelsey L Baldwin

Hi, I was wondering if you could help with a project idea that I have, I’m particularly new to resin so don’t exactly know where to start. So basically I found a Phellinus Badius mushroom(in case you wanted to look it up) in the woods. The mushroom is two feet in length and one foot in width. The mushrooms grow generally hard almost as hard as the tree bark itself, and grows on the side of trees like a shelf. Which is exactly what I wanted to make out of it! So I have to sand down the back where it was attached to the tree and make it flat, then seal it in some kind of wood sealant most likely. Then I am going to cost it in resin so that it doesn’t get harmed by moisture, handling, etc. and all around has a longer life. What resin do you think that I should use and how do you think I should go about dipping it? Should I dip it multiple times, wait for the resin to get syrupy then dip it, or get the dining resin for such a large pice? How should I go about this to where I won’t waste gallons of resin?? Please help!!!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Kelsey,

Here are a few of my thoughts:

I don’t know anything about this kind of mushroom, but yes, it will need to be sealed. Based upon your description, a wood sealant would be my choice here as well. Make sure your mushroom is thoroughly dry first. A couple layers of sealant are essential too to make sure air bubbles don’t leak out and into your resin.

The resin is going to drip, especially for a piece this large. You are going to have to handle it like I did in this tutorial on how to coat a tumbler with resin: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-tutorials/how-to-glitter-and-resin-a-tumbler The piece will need to be rotated during the first couple of hours after resin application to keep it from pooling in certain areas.

The biggest challenge is going to be coating the entire mushroom at once. You want to do it all at once to make sure the resin is even all the way around. I’m guessing half a gallon of resin should be enough for this project. (The resin I used in the tumbler project will work.) You might want to have an extra pair of hands to mix up more resin for you (if needed) while you rotate the piece.

I would love to see how this turns out. Please share pictures!

Kelsey

Awesome thank you so much I will watch the video and I will definitely let you know how it turns out!!! Thank you again!

Kelsey

Also, how do you propose I hold it when all of it is covered in resin? Like where would I possibly be able to touch it?? Thanks for all of your help!

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hmm. There won’t be a good spot. I would pick the area that is the least conspicuous when looking at it. Will there be a back or a bottom?

Tony

I am looking for a resin to coat a pair of baby shoes to preserve them. Kind of like bringing but want them to be clear. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Tony,

Follow the same concepts that I mention above.

Magnolia

Hi, did this work? I’m trying to preserve mushrooms.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Thick Dip Coat’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube