Thick resin encapsulization in untraditional mold

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Robyn Alatorre

I am making an art piece that uses a plastic hollow mold that will be about 4 to 5 inches thick at the widest. I am using a plastic mold of a woman’s pelvic region that is made to display women’s underwear. (https://www.allendisplay.com/Female-Unbreakables-Hip-Form?gclid=Cj0KCQjwibDXBRCyARIsAFHp4frAGuZ_Yt_BCmu2CKqXyXC6BlohPKdn1_edljPuPmZehnvTmsHqaQoaAiEFEALw_wcB)
      I used polyester resin (Casting craft) and the measurements of the casting resin to hardener was as close as I could make it (maybe a drop or 3 too many?).
      I sanded the inside with fine grain sandpaper (1000 grain) and used mold release. Poured the first layer (about 3/4 of an inch), waited until the resin was gelling, added my small plastic objects, and then did a second pour of about an inch in thickness. The next morning, there was a giant crack, and I was unable to release the resin without further breakage. What could I be doing wrong, or am I using the wrong materials? Should I not be doing this in repeated thin layers? As I mention before, the final art piece will be about 4 (maybe 5) inches thick.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Cracking is an indication that the resin got too hot. How thick was the first pour? The width of the casting isn’t as important as the depth.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Thick resin encapsulization in untraditional mold’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube