Thickest Depth Clear Casting resin

Resin jewelry making resin art supplies Forums Resin Techniques Thickest Depth Clear Casting resin

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Katherine Swift 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

matt

Which product (epoxy preferred) gives the greatest casting depth?

I’ve seen the Resin Obsession diagram showing a number of different casting resin products and am wondering if anyone has found resins that can be used for larger casting depths (for a single pour)? Thus far, I have found the following:

– Smooth On Epoxycast 690: Claims to be a max casting depth of 2″. My experience with this epoxy has demonstrated its high sensitivity to moisture. I’ve only been able to get 1.25-1.5″ without cracking or exotherming too much.
    – Smooth On Crystal Clear Urethane 206: I havent worked with Urethanes (yet) but I have been told they’re also equally sensitive to moisture and heat (a problem for me because most of the projects involve wood AND resin). The VOC content and strong odor of urethanes also could be problematic.

My ultimate goal is to eliminate demarcation lines in my castings. Im prudent about casting the 2nd, 3rd and subsequent pours when the first has become tacky. Ive reduced the severity of the lines, but am curious if they can be gotten rid of altogether.

Any advice is appreciated.

#9485 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

I don’t have any experience with the Smooth On products you mention, so I cannot comment there.

Have you considered a polyester resin? They can be trickier to cast (I don’t recommend them for beginners), but can be used for deeper castings.

#9486 Reply

matt

I have not tried polyesters. Can you recommend a few brands?

Thanks,

Matt

#9487 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Thickest Depth Clear Casting resin
Your information: