Tiny bubbles in molds

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Leah

Hello! Hoping somebody can help.
      I am using House of Molds 7-dice set molds to cast some fun dice. I’m fairly new to resin art and am learning as I go. I started with UV resin and have had pretty good luck with it.
      HOWEVER… I wanted something more versatile so I recently bought some Super Clear Resin Obsession casting resin.

I have not been able to shake the TINY bubbles in my castings. Only in the top half – so they appear to be floating to the top and then sticking.
      Here is what I have tried, based on reading through these forums:
      -warming resin and hardener in warm water bath (still in a plastic bag) for 10+ minutes before beginning to mix
      -warming molds and pouring warm resin into warm molds
      -using vibration to try to coax bubbles out

-I am also curing the resin in a toaster oven at about 40degrees for 1.5 hours. I am not sure if this makes it worse or better??

I can’t use a heat gun because these are closed molds, so it wouldn’t be able to reach the resin inside.
      I’m losing my mind here – I have done at least 5 casts which all have varying degrees of tiny bubbles inside and on top of the cast. I can’t paint these properly because the paint meant to stick inside the numbers just sticks in the little bubble indents.

Please help!
      -Leah

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Leah,

I’m sorry to hear things are going as well as you had hoped. You are doing several things right, so let’s see what else you can try here.

I have a few questions for you:

1. Is the resin bubble free before your pour it into the mold?
      2. Are you filling the stem of the mold with resin as well (i.e. overfilling the mold)?

Steve

A pressure pot will remove any bubbles in the cast. They are around $80.00. Of course you’ll need a compressor also. Hope this helps.

Leah

Hi Katherine – The resin does appear to be free of bubbles when I pour it. I have been swirling a bit around the outside of the mold before I fill it completely, and I am also filling the whole top so it has a rounded sort of bubble at the top of the mold. I have found it shrinks down enough that if I don’t do this, it will leave the sprue too small to allow to sand the die to the correct shape.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

You must have been reading my mind! This is exactly what I would have done in this case. I’m anxious to hear how the new castings come out.

Leah Frampton

The problem is, I was already doing that. It didn’t fix the problem. So… I’m at a loss.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Oh ugh! It sounds like you may need to try pressure casting.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Tiny bubbles in molds’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube