Trouble with spheres

• This topic has 4 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 3 years ago by Lucy.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Lucy

Hi, I’m new to epoxy resin, it’s something that I’ve wanted to try my hand at and I have been experimenting with it for the past few weeks. I am having trouble with sphere molds (and also egg shaped molds), as they cure the resin sinks down at the opening where you pour it in, creating a sink hole/crater (this is a one piece mold). The two piece sphere mold does the same thing and also the top of the sphere comes out larger than the bottom. I have watched videos where other people’s spheres come out fine when they pop it out. Like I said I’m new to this and I know that practice makes perfect but I don’t know if I am using the correct resin or if it’s the molds or if I’m doing something incorrectly (which is likely). I know sanding is an option but I don’t know if it would help in this circumstance or if I should be adding more resin in the hole as it cures . I hope this somewhat makes sense and that you might some suggestions.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Lucy,

It sounds like you are trapping a bubble at the resin opening. Do I understand that correctly?

Lucy

I don’t think it’s a bubble at least I have not seen any. This last time I watched it as it cured, it slowly starts to sink down at the opening.

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

Hi Lucy,

Resin will shrink a smidge as it cures. Have you tried overpouring it to account for this?

Lucy

I did and it still did it, I was using Alumlite deep pour. I got a different resin yesterday, Alumlite amazing clear cast. I thought since it was thicker maybe it would help and I think it kind of did, the hole was much smaller.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Trouble with spheres’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube