Trying to get Lace Effect in Resin Pour

Resin jewelry making supplies Forums How Can I…? Trying to get Lace Effect in Resin Pour

This topic contains 87 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Louise Steyn 3 days, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)
  • Author

Carla E

Hi guys,

Check out the awesome “Let it Flow” group on Facebook. There’s lots of documentation on getting lacing effects and cells etc. Great group, but make sure you look at all of the documentation before asking questions since they get asked 100x a day!

#7263 Reply

Rachel Sandstrom

Hey Carla,
    Thank you for this. Can you post a link by any chance? When I search for ‘Let it flow’ on facebook all I get is a band and a water saving group. Lol.
    Cheers, Rachel

#7269 Reply

Cheryl
    #7270 Reply

Cheryl

I mean, Rachel! 🙂

#7307 Reply

Mia

Hi…I’ve been looking for the same effect and during my research I came across a resin artist (cannot remember her name dang it) that said she made a huge mistake in mixing oil with her resin….eventually, the oil soaked through the resin and dripped onto the floor of the installation…she said she not only lost her client, but lost future commissions from that client…I have been seeing people suggesting mixing oil in to make the lace effect and silicon oil….I am not sure of the silicon oil, but wouldn’t risk destruction with any other oil product..and I have yet to pour something lol….I also read different colors will not react that way due to density, viscosity etc….white over black will work, but not black over white….trying to remember all these things in my already overcrowded brain.

#7315 Reply

Debra

Hi try looking up Judy Waters resin artist from Aus. You will find her on put some colour in your life on youtube.

#7377 Reply

Vicki-Jayne

Hi there,
    I am an abstract artisan from Australia and I came across this ‘lace; technic by accident. When mixing a colour into the resin I don’t mix completely (i.e I leave little lumps of colour) when it has been poured onto the board I hit it with a hairdryer which bursts the colour across the board. I have also poured pearlized nail varnish directly onto wet resin and hit this with the hairdryer which gives unique and unexpected results/
    I hope this can be helpful to you Caren 😉
    Regards
    Vicki-Jayne

#7383 Reply

Tom

The admin of that group you are talking about had a meltdown last night and said she is closing it down, but there are a couple other ones including. https://www.facebook.com/groups/epoxypigs/

#7398 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

Hi all, we posted this video today on our youtube channel: https://youtu.be/BE87xjSddAo It’s from resinista Ellen Anderson showing how to get a lace effect in resin. Enjoy!

#7421 Reply

Kailey

Tom,

While I appreciate you being a member of let it flow, I would like to say that you’re slightly mistaken and that no I’m not closing the group, I never said I was definitely closing the group, and I did not have a meltdown. I had a company use my group to promote themselves and then subsequently tried to destroy my group, so yes I got mad and understandably so. What I don’t understand is why everybody has to attack me or my Facebook group in order to promote their company or their Facebook group, like you just did. Just start a group, and let it happen naturally, that’s what I did. I still feel like a good person at the end of the day, but I don’t know that everyone who has done this to me could say the same thing.

TO EVERYONE ELSE: thank you to everyone who has linked ‘let it flow” here in the comments, we still have a group with over 3000 members, and it’s a good place to come and talk about resin and fluid art, where we also openly share techniques and other “art secrets”, and I hope that you don’t let anything that you might’ve heard from another group or somebody in the comments here change your mind about that. We are eliminating the drama and avoiding it as best as we can. Would love to have you all as members.

The link is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/303023806697924/

Let It Flow administrator,
    Kailey Bender (@KBsCreations)

#7426 Reply

Tom

I really don’t care what the feud was and don’t want to know. I had started to read it thinking it was going to be another cool resin post and the first part of the post said the group was going to be closed. Admittedly I didn’t read the whole post because again, I wasn’t interested and second because of the terrible language being used. I’m not a prude, but I don’t think the f bombs need to be flung out there so publicly and then to have it from an admin. I was also turned off by the posting of screen shots of personal messages. I thought that was in poor taste and I know it is against Facebook’s policy.

#7454 Reply

Blue

Did anybody ever see the artist named Bruce Riley on YouTube? I been trying to figure out his techniques for years now. Can somebody explain how he achieves these effects? The only thing I do know is that he is layering. Do any of you resin experts have the answers?

#7617 Reply

vicky

I have read all the post on topic in this thread ..it look cool that so much people (artist) put there view on lace technique. I got to know about this technique few days ago on researching on topic find the following fact :
    David Alfaro Siqueiros, a recognized Mexican muralist (in 1930), first invented this technique (refer as accidental painting) this in not specific to any material (e.g.resin, acrylic or oil paint) but depend on physical properties (Dendity) of two color layer. Physical process involve in this technique known as Rayleigh-Taylor instability. In simple work when two color (one may be clear resin) spread on one another with difference in density. Dense color on top layer move to bottom with infiltration create the lace look. Design characteristic depend on density,viscosity and interface property of different paint/color used in painting.Hopefully this will resolve the query of many members.

#7618 Reply

Kate

Check out the Elichem site in the U.K. They sell something called Resiblast which gives amazing results on their resin and pigments. You can get their resin through Resin Obession – total cast (which is awesome to work with.) I’ve tried it but not with their pigments as at the moment they are out of my budget. I’m sure the effects if you use their stuff would be amazing but I do get ok results with it on alcohol inks and acrylic colouring.
    Alternatively, as mentioned before, adding white over another colour works. Or, I’ve also had good results with adding acetone drops to poured resin. (I have an example of this on and pendant on my Instagram page ‘dinodaisy’).
    Hope this helps.
    Kate xxx

#7620 Reply

Katie

Hey not sure if anyone is still following this post but I think I’ve come up with one way to do the lace effect.
    I’ve achieved it with ink and acrylic paint (both mixed into resin of course)
    Basically it’s using acetone and mixed mediums (inks,acrylic,spray paint) all in the one project.
    The sections that turned out the best were ones I didn’t “move” to much once they were on the surface (maybe lay everything else first move it around, then add the colour you want to lace on top, and incorporating it in), layering ink/acetone on straight acrylics or vice verse. The trick I think is not to mix acetone into every colour your working with. It shows up best in white I believe. I used about a ratio of no more than 1:10 eg 10ml per 100ml
    The result improved up to that level but then stopped and wouldn’t cure afterwards.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)
Reply To: Trying to get Lace Effect in Resin Pour
Your information: