Trying to get Lace Effect in Resin Pour

Resin jewelry making resin art supplies Forums Resin Painting Trying to get Lace Effect in Resin Pour

This topic contains 101 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Lita 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

Caren

I do resin paintings and am trying to achieve this lace effect. (The artists who do this won’t share their techniques.) It looks like some sort of resist was used to cause the white paint to break up and create “holes”. I’ve tried spritzing rubbing alcohol onto a wet colored resin pour (I color the resin with acrylic paint) but it has no effect. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

• #4475 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

Hi Caren,

Neat effect! (and outside of my area of expertise) Knowing that resin can be removed with solvents (like alcohol and acetone), I would wonder whether or not using something like vegetable oil would work as a resist?? The tricky part is that resin hates moisture, so it wouldn’t be water, otherwise the resin wouldn’t cure.

Let me ask a some of my resin friends if they might have any other ideas.

• #4481 Reply

Caren

Katherine, any ideas your resin friends can come up with is greatly appreciated! I just started working with resin a few months ago, and am trying to figure this out. It’s such a beautiful technique, it looks like crashing waves. The Australians do great resin paintings, but they don’t share techniques! LOL

• #8437 Reply

Muriel Austin

Hi there i mix denatured alcohol with the paint and resin then pour colors seperately move colors around then use a torch and watch the magic happen

• #8750 Reply

Chris Wilson

Hello Karen use a product called art oil. Just a drop goes a long way.

• #10784 Reply

Lana

RESI BLAST creates the cells when you work with resin

• #4530 Reply

Nicole

It honestly looks like air bubbles!! I get this same look on the side of my pendant charms (NOT something I’m actually trying to do lol!!) When air bubbles form. It makes kind of a “whiteish foam” and bubbles!! Maybe vigorously mixing the resin once it is somewhat tacky (dried) and blowing air into it somehow (maybe with a straw?? Just thought I’d share some ideas lol!! Sorry if you have already tried these, I have worked with resin for several years πŸ™‚ hope you find your answer!!

• #4531 Reply

Mary Anderson

Have you tried baking soda? Maybe it would foam in resin like it does in water. Just a thought. πŸ™‚

• #4533 Reply

Wendy

Have you tried sprinkling salt on the dried paintings before you pour the resin?

• #4546 Reply

Caren

Those are all good ideas I am going to try: salt on dried painting, baking soda mixed into resin, and trying to create air bubbles somehow. I will let you all know if I get something accomplished. Thank you for your answers and feel free to add any more ideas!
      I’ll be back…
      caren

• #5481 Reply

Tim Ashby

Aloha Caren, were you able to find the method of the lace effect? I seemly have tried everything I can think of by mixing materials that should separate from water based Acrylic like: oil based enamel, Lacquer, single stage auto lacquer, silicon additive, varies thinners…etc. I have gotten the lacing effect but I can’t recreate consistently or like what I have seen from a couple other artist. Have you had any luck? Mahalo, Tim

• #5482 Reply

Tim Ashby

Aloha Caren, I am checking back in on your question. Have you had any luck yet? I too am trying to be able to achieve the lace affect. I have tried multiple combinations with water-based acrylics, oil-based acrylics, lacquer, single stage lacquer, silicone, multiple thinning mediums…etc. I get lacing effects on each of my painting and resin pours but I can’t recreate it consistently not with the open window, spider web effect like some of Arthur Brouthers brilliant paintings. Any help from you or anyone else would be greatly appreciated Tim!

• #7623 Reply

Mark Boyle

You were asking about the lacing effect in resin art i dont know if youve worked out how but its created with white resin overlayed on another color benath and the white is hit with a blowtorch. It is also encouraged to do this by placing a lacing powder into the white too.
        Ask at your art supplies for it

• #7645 Reply

Victor He

Mark Boyle, I am a beginner too. There are lots of types of color or inks out there, like Acrylic, Pigment, Alcohol. Any of these types can have better result on the lacing effect? or we need to lay one type of ink and another? I am very confused what type of color I should buy.

• #8546 Reply

Lynda Lougheed

Hi
        Use silicone oil or try resi-blast for cells. There’s a you tube video on resiblast. Also Danny Clark has videos on creating cells, has to do with the density of paint.
        Lynda

• #4867 Reply

Dianne

Hi Caren. I’m from Aust & also starting out doing Resin paintings. I have been able to get that effect with “Titanium White” or “White Pearl” coloured paints….it seems to be the white shades that work. Although the other day my white Titanium did nothing. Maybe try lifting your frame to get it to flow….hope this helps…

• #4868 Reply

Dianne

Just another thing. Do you have a heat gun. If you do, then GENTLY wave the gun over the white paint & it will disperse it. Be careful not to burn you pic….good luck. Let us know if this works OK.

• #5050 Reply

Dion

I’m researching the same effect. Look at Solid Solutions web site, scroll down to Art Oil 01.

https://secure.solidsolutions.com.au/view_products.php?cat=79

Looks like the effect we’re after, right? Solid Solutions appears to ship only in Australia.
    Click the MSDS link for the Art Oil 01. It gives us the chemical composition. It looks to be a substance called Dimethicone, mostly (all?) silicone oil. I put in some orders for Dimethicone from Amazon (it’s used in cosmetics) and also ordered some pure silicone oil. Let’s see what kind of effect they have πŸ™‚

• #5615 Reply

Lisa

Dion, just wondering if you had success with the silicone oil?

• #5626 Reply

Emmanuel

Did silicone oil worked?

• #8347 Reply

Jean

Where you able to test out using the silicone oil with the Resin? What type of affect did it give you?

• #5081 Reply

Star

I was wondering if it was silicone oil as well. Apparently you can buy it at Walmart or hardware stores, but as to which brand or kind it is im not sure. I’m also curious if the silicone oil can be mixed into the resin and then poured to get an interesting effect. Let us know how it goes! From what I saw from the solid solutions page it wasn’t EXACTLY the effect I was looking for but it was close. The effect I’m curious about it more of a web like effect. I have some resin on the way as well, and will be experimenting with silicone oil also so I’ll post my results as well.

Keep us updated on how it goes!

• #5133 Reply

Mandy

Hi there
    Have you tried oil based paint. I can get the lace effect sometimes. There is a science to it. Acrylic and ink sink to the bottom while oil based paint stays on top then as the resin drips over the sides it stretches the paint to create the ocean white wash effect. I know your pain of not getting info about technique. That’s why I’m happy to share. Contact me if you want to know more. And if you’ve found a better way of love to know as well.
    Mandy.

• #5181 Reply

Pamela

Hi Caren,
      would love to hear if any of these suggestions have worked for you! i have been researching to same thing without any clear info. The best I have found is this video of an Australian artist

She says the white laces on its own, although it doesn’t seem to do much until she torches it, and even then is not as dramatic as some paintings I have seen. I don’t have a torch but if anyone here has tried it,please share results. i also tried the alcohol and it was a flop as well, however there is a lady on insta that pours alcohol on her resin and lights it on fire. (Not suggesting anyone try that!) It makes some cool patterns but still not the lacey effect i’m after.I will let you know if I find anything that works.

• #5188 Reply

Pamela

Hi Mandy,
      I would like to know more specifics about your oil paint technique if you don’t mind sharing! Thank you!

• #5234 Reply

Deborah Hughes

To achieve lacing, you have to apply the white resin over already poured wet resin, you can also try moving the board around so the resin runs through the first layer, don’t be afraid to go crazy and tip it right over, best results are achieved taking risks, good luck : )
    If you want to look at some of my effects check out my insta Deborah_hughes_art or Facebook Deborah Hughes art : )

• #6558 Reply

Jenna

Deborah – does this effect only happen with resin? I’m trying to accomplish the same effect with acrylic…I used to be able to do it in high school but it’s been years and I can’t remember how I did it!

• #5246 Reply

Pamela

Thank you Deborah! I started following you on insta, you have beautiful work!! I guess we Americans are overthinking it because the effect is so intricate! Seems like most of the resin artists are in Australia, do you know who started the whole movement? I used to make resin jewelry 20 years ago but hadn’t “painted” with it until recently. Cheers to your success!

• #5308 Reply

Felix

So Glad i finally found a group of people trying to achieve this same design.
    I will keep you all posted on any positive results i have.
    This is definitley a secret technique. I have never been bold enough to ask teh artists how they make the pattern and have been on a mission to learn it myself. I feel like im a step closer to figuring it out !!

• #5365 Reply

Cor

Hey Caren. This technique has been evading me for years. I have wasted soooo much resin and paint trying to figure it out. However, I will give Deborah’s idea a shot. If you find a tech that works please let me know. I will do the same. I have a hard time thinking that pouring white tinted resin over an already resined piece will react this way, I am willing to try anything. Best of luck. Cor at cor1000@yahoo.com

• #5371 Reply

Felix

So I found this stuff called Bombay ink. Its white ink that I think goes into a fountain pen. It comes with a little dropper on the lid. I poured the resin and then dropped a few drips of the bombay ink onto the resin. It just liked some circular drips at first so i got a squeegee type item ( some flat cardboard) and smeared the ink across the top of the resin. It made a really thin lacey effect. I dont think this is proper way to do it but its the closest thing to a lacey effect that i have been able to achieve. I also tried the silicone oil and it didnt do anything. It just sort of smears over the top of the top of the resin. I tried adding pigment to it but nothing i found combined with the oil.

I’ll keep trying. Hopefully someone figures it out but i definitely think the bombay ink is worth trying …

• #5430 Reply

Felix

So i found this paper and there is also this
    Both are fairly scientific but it might spark something that gives you a new idea …

• #8470 Reply

Deborah Voso

Could you email the information you found on lacing

• #5474 Reply

Nat

OMG i am so glad i found this thread…. i have been wastjng so much time and money on trying to get this method sorted…. at least now i have a few ideas to try to acheive this secret method… look forward to trying and will let you know if i have any success…

• #5477 Reply

Pamela

I just sent an email to one of the big AU resin companies asking for advice and gave them this link. Hopefully someone will reply! Good luck with the experiments!

• #7315 Reply

Debra

Hi try looking up Judy Waters resin artist from Aus. You will find her on put some colour in your life on youtube.

• #5484 Reply

Pamela

Ok, I got a response to my question. It is not very specific but it does rule out a bunch of additives so that certainly helps and saves money! “Lacing is an effect created with layers of pigmented resin using white as the top layer in every case. It cannot be done using paints as it is a polymeric reaction phenomenon.

What you need to do is lay a wetting coat of clear resin only. Then you would have some resin mixed and pigmented in a few colours as well as white ( this is essential to effective lacing ).

You pour the layers of colour then white last. The mixed mass is then dispersed with a strong blast of heat or hot air. The rationale is to disperse the merged colours with white taking the brunt of the heat as it is the top layer.”

So, it is only resin being used. I can’t wait to try this but have the next 2 weeks are crazy busy! Let me know how it works for you all!

• #5560 Reply

Dani Payne

There are some awesome Pebeo paints that do the webbing patterns by themselves. They interact and spread out over time making some incredible lacing effects.

http://en.pebeo.com/Mixed-Media/Fantasy-Prisme-Fantasy-Moon

• #5620 Reply

Felix

Pebeo paints are definitly cool but they dont react the way I want them too. Its cool, but not exact. What are Pebeo paints made with ? If i knew the ingredients maybe i could tweak the recipe to get the effect I want.

It’s funny how many people are trying to create this effect and how tight a secret people “in the know” keep it. lol.

• #5565 Reply

Cam

pic

I follow this artist on insta @brett_kenshole_art. Is this what you mean? If you can make me one like this ill buy it ☺

• #5941 Reply

Caren Goodrich

Oh, one thing I wanted to say, it looks like this effect is not just by using resin. I have seen some acrylic artists such as arthurbros on insta. I believe he uses clear resin as a final coat (as Felix mentioned in a previous comment), and gets a cellular effect using acrylics and some secret something that casues it to happen…he probably drives me nuts more than any of the others….LOL

But I guess to clarify, there are two different things: (1) what Arthur Brouthers does, which is a distinct “cellular” pattern, and (2) what is achieved with resin mixed with white, which is more like a crashing ocean wave, demonstrated by some of the examples posted above.

• #5584 Reply

Nat Simmons

Check out LWREN_ART on Instagram… halfway down her feed there is a video of lacing….

• #5619 Reply

Lisa

Sorry did not see page 2 of posts, Felix answered my question.

• #5623 Reply

Pamela

Pebeo is $8 for a tiny bottle and only makes tiny cellular effects…really cool for jewelry. It doesn’t make the lacing effect. I tried the butane torch over resin last week and had some success, but I had to get very close to the canvas to achieve the effect and burned both paintings in places.

Where is op? Other experimenters?

• #5624 Reply

Pamela

Also, I am wondering if I am using the wrong resin… I’m using Envirotex light in hot, humid florida and it is really thick after i stir it. My projects are “lumpy” and probably need 2 clear coats just to level them out. Seems like a thinner, more fluid resin might be better for art purposes. Let’s help each other out!

• #5940 Reply

Caren Goodrich

Thanks for all the great responses here, I got sidetracked for awhile and have not been able to experiment. There are some good ideas here!

• #8471 Reply

Deborah Voso

Art Resin

Humidity makes a difference

• #5655 Reply

Carla

Any update on people’s experiments?
    I looked at LWREN ART on Instagram after someone mentioned her technique and from the reflection it looks like she’s shaking something over the top but it also looks like something is reacting from the centre of the white blob and its dispersing from there. A chemical must be dropped on to it and I presume just a small drop because you don’t even see it landing on to the white blob.

You’ll notice in Mitch Gobel’s art his effect looks to also tak place from the centre of the blob and then disperses from there. This us evident from the whole in the centre of his lacing which makes me assum a chemical is being dropped on to it and then reacting.

I also found this link on YouTube which shows polyurethane resin rescuing to contamination. I don’t know if polyurethane resin is the wrong type of resin to use but the bubbling effect was interesting.

Thoughts?

• #5717 Reply

Elizabeth

Few things to say as I have also been trying to figure out the exact science of this affect too!

resin lace effect

I agree it has something to do with the layering of resin with white on top and how the weight of the inks or paint spreads – but is it b/c of a chemical reaction, air heat, gravity?

i’ve achieved it on accident it shows up occasionally in piece when i’ve used ink but it was never intentional or consistent

I discovered this artist and i don’t think she uses resin she does more watercolor and ink and i saw this!
    lacing effect

mitch globel

i’m with you!

• #5734 Reply

Felix

Hey you guys. Check out “pigment dispersion” It has something to do with this technique, Im not sure what but it has led me down a new rabbit hole. Also I read another post from Arthur Brouthers where he says that he only ever uses resin to put on a top coat and never uses it in his actual paintings. This “lacing effect” can be achieved without resin aswell.

• #5779 Reply

Cam

Use fw inks in the resin. White pigments will lace. Use heat gun to make it move across.

• #5780 Reply

Cam

Also try alcohol in a spray bottle and spritz it and it makes holes

• #5782 Reply

Cam

The highest % like 91. Fw white laces nice. 713city on Instagram

• #5795 Reply

Cam

Also really depends on how you move the pigments through the resin. Usually I lay a thin light base of clear resin, doesn’t have to fill out the canvas, you can leave gaps holes what have you to add more as you go so you don’t over mix it up and waste it dripping off the sides. Then I save a few tablespoons of clear resin, drop in some fw ink, some colors will lace better than others depending on how you smear it. I usually don’t mix the pigment into the resin or do one or two lazy stirs before poring because I am going to spread it to make it do lace or something similar. To spread it I use empty gift cards or hotel keys. I don’t touch the canvas With them as I smear or drag the resin. I set it in and and drag it lightly over the pigment and it will lace best with white and even other fw colors ( solids best over the shimmery ones) will do small meh semi lace stuff. Sometimes I can even get liquitex soft body paints to do lacy stuff depending on how I smear it, too.i Try to practice different types of mixing and swatch them and watch how they move. Keep a journal or you may forget which ones work best later which can be fun. I Don’t recommend to use the piΓ±ata inks directly in resin, they will bleed through no matter how many coats of resin or gesso you put on it after. I don’t think I would recommend Bombay either it may bleed through or yellow. You can try liquitex inks. I can’t remember which work best but you can try and see.

• #5821 Reply

cam

For the picture in the middle that Elizabeth posted.. the white over yellowy greenish blended colors.. Use a spray paint on wet resin, then spritz with the 91% alcohol. I use liquitex spray paints. Try misting the alcohol from different heights from wet resin to get different size holes.

• #5822 Reply

cam

Another tip is that I sometimes just use good ol elmer’s glue mixed with soft body or fw ink, not much, and I usually never do a homogeneous mix ( lazy stir, one or two turns of the stick or spoon) to get some cool looking affect without resin that resembles lace or layer marbling affect, it turns out different every time for me, black fw in it can reminds me of henna as it spreads out, sometimes the pigments and glue repel each other in an interesting way, while fluid acrylics do some marbling as I gently spread it not far with a empty gift card. You can try putting glue in a small mixing cup and then pouring, or directly on the canvas from the bottle and then drip some ink on it and then lightly smear or spread. The glue will dry clear and smooth.

• #5841 Reply

Sam

Sorry, I’ve only just come across this. I haven’t yet started resin art but i have come across something called’art oil’, which makes the resin disperse outwards. Maybe worth a try.

• #5842 Reply

Sam

Go into this link and scroll to teh bottom to teh ‘techniques’ section. Gives a similar effect:

http://www.zartart.com.au/1/2446/Resin_Art.aspx

• #5973 Reply

Elizabeth

YES!!!!!

ok I poured a painting with resin and THEN i lightly spread white BOMBAY INK on top – and it was lacing heaven.
    i could literally just wipe my finger across with white ink on it and it laced like sea foam!
    I’ve used other white inks and i kinda did this effect but bombay white ink was pure magic!!!!!!!!!

so just paint a top layer with that bombay white ink and you’ll get it!!

• #8757 Reply

Dee

In acrylic paint you can use a flow agent such as pouring medium and water and then a couole of squirts from a spray can of silicone like you buy in auto supplys. They do whats called a dirty pour where they layer each mixed color into a container flip your canvas onto the cup,turn over and then pick up the cup. You then use a little torch to ooen up the cells

• #5975 Reply

Felix

BOOM !! that awesome Elizabeth. I’ve been having some succes with my pours lately also.
    I dont know what the Atwood number refers to but …
    “we found that when the Atwood number was positive (dense fluid on top of light fluid), the patterns appeared”

Ive been finding this true with alot of colors, but especially white. I water down white gesso or white acrylic paint. not too watery but like a milkshake consistency and then mix in a few other colors give it a light stir and kind of pour throw it on the panel or canvas and it makes some crazy looking little patterns.

my insta is yodes121 if you want to see results from my most recent attempts.

Good luck folks i would love to see what anyone else has produced.

• #5983 Reply

Pamela

Elizabeth, that is great news!! Was the resin wet or dry when you spread the white ink? Also, did you use the ink straight from the bottle? I’ve been mixing mine with resin and getting ok results after I torch it, but not as lacey as I wanted.

Felix, I started following u on insta ( I am pamelatahernia). Looks like you have nailed the Brouthers cellular technique with acrylics. Really cool stuff!!

For anyone reading that doesn’t know though, do not mix resin with any watered down paints because the water will prevent the resin from hardening.

Best of luck to all!

• #6083 Reply

Elizabeth

Wet resin
    I poured tiny bit ink straight from bottle of Bombay white ink and smeared it across with finger over the wet resin and it laces like a dream.

• #6126 Reply

Felix

Elizabeth, do u have any pics or social media links ? Id love the results your getting –

Also there is facebook group called “let it flow”. It has all the answers and tips you can imagine.

• #6128 Reply

Pamela

I joined that group as well! Lots of tips, some of them are thinning white with denatured alcohol and torching it but I tried it twice and it didn’t work for me. My ratios or application are probably wrong. Also tried the Bombay ink and it makes tiny lacing but not the effect I’m looking for.

• #6339 Reply

Katie

To get the lace effect you pour white over a wet transparent it takes about 20 mins you need to slide / tip to thin the white and the more heat directed to the White will thin it also. I have been using a clear base and white on top and
    when dry applying another coat on top of transparent and white and heat. Gives a great netting foaming effect. You can also use drops of oils and turps and brush cleaner to get different effects but I find they split the layers and leave diverts or dents and then you have to lay another layer of clear when finished. You can use powers, dyes, inks, oil paint etc to colour but NOTHING water based.
    You can’t own a process so I don’t mind sharing! Have a look at mARTine artwork she seems to be the best skilled in this area I only teach school students otherwise Judy waters in Melbourne

• #6481 Reply

Joeygoodvibes

Hi Caren and friends. I have the answer it’s called Resi Blast
    It will be available in the United States soon. πŸ™‚

Happy happy πŸ™‚

• #6486 Reply

Christina Maddox

I have came across Resiblast from chem resins and I really hope resin obsession starts selling their stuff. I messaged chem resins on FB and they said they are working with resin obsession…
    You can’t buy it in the U.S so hopefully they work something out!

• #6550 Reply

Jane-Half Baked Art

Hey Ladies! (and resin artists) I just came across this discussion today and I wish it was sooner. I am HalfBakedArt, Jane Biven, and one of the resin artists to actually mix epoxy with pigment. I have probably 12-15 different techniques or recipes to achieve completely different results with resin art. I read a lot of the posts above and there are a LOT of correct answers and guesses it this on going “quest for the lace”. And you are not alone. I’ve been asked and approached by 100+ artists about this topic. The answer is, there is NOT just ONE simple answer. Everything, ingredient, colorant, chemical and heat act and react to each other uniquely, and depending on the age of the resin before mixing, how long it was stirred and how long before it’s applied, spread evenly and has been on your surface ALL EFFECT the relationships between components. I like to think of each ingredient as a character, with it’s own personality. Each character has a interaction with the others and no 2 are indentical. Acrylic paints vary in their quality, and consistency. Inks are like a different species, and not in the same group! Depending on the base (alcohol, water of silicone) they should used as a catalyst to intiate response from the others. That’s why some colors “lace” beautifully when added next to certain others and others “muddy”. The secret to it is to put effort into planning the pour first and timing second. Third is adding the right resistant chemical.
    It is correct that you can get great lacing with out resin, but NOTHING laces more beautifully.
    NEVER use flammable liquid and an open flame to set it on fire or allow any part of epoxy to burn, smoke or cook!! Not only is dangerous it can be deadly! VOC free DOES NOT mean SAFE!! always wear a respirator (not a mask) when adding heat and/or chemicals with epoxy resin!. Remember it was never meant to be used this way.
    I hate to do this to you but, I have to go do a live demo. I will leave this page open and finish post with several lacing layering techniques in a couple hours.
    Not a magic button but lots of time saving tips and money saving advice. These work with lots of mediums as well
    TTYL,
    Jane
    Sea of Love-Jane Biven_2010

• #6554 Reply

Jane-Half Baked Art

Part 2:
    The lacing effect is a “resist” of any 2 or more components of the resin art recipe. How well they react to each other will result in the strength of the lace or its clarity. Bombay ink (mentioned earlier in this discussion) works well because it is alcohol based ink. All inked are ink or water based and that describes the chemical action/reaction that causes lacing. Oil and water don’t mix. Acrylic paint (water based)and alcohol inks (isopropyl alcohol based) resist each other. Oil based paints resist water based paints, ethyl alcohol and acetone have yet another chemical component and produce yet another action/reaction, and so on, and so on. That’s why there’s no simple answer to the question “How do you get that lacing effect?” The best answer, and accurate as well, is to understand your “ingredients and how the interact with each other!! Then apply them accordingly and incorporate the introduction of 91% volume isopropyl alcohol, at the correct moment with heat and carbon monoxide (what actually removes air bubbles) and the results are gorgeous.
    So, at the risk of sounding angry (I am not), I devoted 100’s of HOURS of research, searches and reading, and even took classes to brush up on chemistry to develop and refine (and yes perfect!) my medium now referred to as “resin art”. I am not alone! The man who actually DID discover it, in the 1960’s, and a Scottish artist, at least 2 Australians and 2 other Americans, also devoted this time and effort to their art and we have all been sick and suffered multiple health issues resulting from the use of epoxy resin, and countless hours of mistakes and disasters before producing “fine art” with resin. And that’s why we often don’t answer you when asked “how do you that?” or “what the secret to?” questions from artists. ANYBODY can buy a box of epoxy resin, watch a 3 minute YouTube video and make art. A true resin artist understands their medium, and creates from the soul and uses resin as SIMPLY A TOOL in the process. Although, I see resin art everyday that is better than my own by artists more skilled and talented than myself, MOST of it is just stuff mixed together and poured on to something!! And people buy it!
    Do yourself a favor and LEARN to use epoxy resin SAFELY. The dangers, health risks and only dispose of it as hazardous waste, NOT in your trash! And Knowledge is power, you will begin to answer all of your own questions, and your artwork will reach levels of excellence you never imagined!
    If you are interested in some one-on-one live video classes with me or another resin artist, contact me. I actually enjoy sharing the info with others and watching the progress and seeing the artwork. jane@halfbakedart.com or subscribe to my newsletter on website or text HALFBAKEDART to 22828.

• #6987 Reply

sarah

Once resin is poured add golden high flow acrylics not mixed with resin in little drops or larger drops in a line and tilt canvas – use heat – I use a heat gun and gently slide and tap the canvas – that allows the high flow to spread out and create the lace pattern you are after. Scientifically it is to do with heat and different levels of viscosity between the resin and the acrylic. Hope this helps.

• #7250 Reply

Carla E

Hi guys,

Check out the awesome “Let it Flow” group on Facebook. There’s lots of documentation on getting lacing effects and cells etc. Great group, but make sure you look at all of the documentation before asking questions since they get asked 100x a day!

• #7263 Reply

Rachel Sandstrom

Hey Carla,
    Thank you for this. Can you post a link by any chance? When I search for ‘Let it flow’ on facebook all I get is a band and a water saving group. Lol.
    Cheers, Rachel

• #7269 Reply

Cheryl
      • #7270 Reply

Cheryl

I mean, Rachel! πŸ™‚

• #7383 Reply

Tom

The admin of that group you are talking about had a meltdown last night and said she is closing it down, but there are a couple other ones including. https://www.facebook.com/groups/epoxypigs/

• #7421 Reply

Kailey

Tom,

While I appreciate you being a member of let it flow, I would like to say that you’re slightly mistaken and that no I’m not closing the group, I never said I was definitely closing the group, and I did not have a meltdown. I had a company use my group to promote themselves and then subsequently tried to destroy my group, so yes I got mad and understandably so. What I don’t understand is why everybody has to attack me or my Facebook group in order to promote their company or their Facebook group, like you just did. Just start a group, and let it happen naturally, that’s what I did. I still feel like a good person at the end of the day, but I don’t know that everyone who has done this to me could say the same thing.

TO EVERYONE ELSE: thank you to everyone who has linked ‘let it flow” here in the comments, we still have a group with over 3000 members, and it’s a good place to come and talk about resin and fluid art, where we also openly share techniques and other “art secrets”, and I hope that you don’t let anything that you might’ve heard from another group or somebody in the comments here change your mind about that. We are eliminating the drama and avoiding it as best as we can. Would love to have you all as members.

The link is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/303023806697924/

Let It Flow administrator,
            Kailey Bender (@KBsCreations)

• #7307 Reply

Mia

Hi…I’ve been looking for the same effect and during my research I came across a resin artist (cannot remember her name dang it) that said she made a huge mistake in mixing oil with her resin….eventually, the oil soaked through the resin and dripped onto the floor of the installation…she said she not only lost her client, but lost future commissions from that client…I have been seeing people suggesting mixing oil in to make the lace effect and silicon oil….I am not sure of the silicon oil, but wouldn’t risk destruction with any other oil product..and I have yet to pour something lol….I also read different colors will not react that way due to density, viscosity etc….white over black will work, but not black over white….trying to remember all these things in my already overcrowded brain.

• #7377 Reply

Vicki-Jayne

Hi there,
    I am an abstract artisan from Australia and I came across this ‘lace; technic by accident. When mixing a colour into the resin I don’t mix completely (i.e I leave little lumps of colour) when it has been poured onto the board I hit it with a hairdryer which bursts the colour across the board. I have also poured pearlized nail varnish directly onto wet resin and hit this with the hairdryer which gives unique and unexpected results/
    I hope this can be helpful to you Caren πŸ˜‰
    Regards
    Vicki-Jayne

• #7398 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

Hi all, we posted this video today on our youtube channel: https://youtu.be/BE87xjSddAo It’s from resinista Ellen Anderson showing how to get a lace effect in resin. Enjoy!

• #7426 Reply

Tom

I really don’t care what the feud was and don’t want to know. I had started to read it thinking it was going to be another cool resin post and the first part of the post said the group was going to be closed. Admittedly I didn’t read the whole post because again, I wasn’t interested and second because of the terrible language being used. I’m not a prude, but I don’t think the f bombs need to be flung out there so publicly and then to have it from an admin. I was also turned off by the posting of screen shots of personal messages. I thought that was in poor taste and I know it is against Facebook’s policy.

• #7454 Reply

Blue

Did anybody ever see the artist named Bruce Riley on YouTube? I been trying to figure out his techniques for years now. Can somebody explain how he achieves these effects? The only thing I do know is that he is layering. Do any of you resin experts have the answers?

• #7617 Reply

vicky

I have read all the post on topic in this thread ..it look cool that so much people (artist) put there view on lace technique. I got to know about this technique few days ago on researching on topic find the following fact :
    David Alfaro Siqueiros, a recognized Mexican muralist (in 1930), first invented this technique (refer as accidental painting) this in not specific to any material (e.g.resin, acrylic or oil paint) but depend on physical properties (Dendity) of two color layer. Physical process involve in this technique known as Rayleigh-Taylor instability. In simple work when two color (one may be clear resin) spread on one another with difference in density. Dense color on top layer move to bottom with infiltration create the lace look. Design characteristic depend on density,viscosity and interface property of different paint/color used in painting.Hopefully this will resolve the query of many members.

• #7618 Reply

Kate

Check out the Elichem site in the U.K. They sell something called Resiblast which gives amazing results on their resin and pigments. You can get their resin through Resin Obession – total cast (which is awesome to work with.) I’ve tried it but not with their pigments as at the moment they are out of my budget. I’m sure the effects if you use their stuff would be amazing but I do get ok results with it on alcohol inks and acrylic colouring.
    Alternatively, as mentioned before, adding white over another colour works. Or, I’ve also had good results with adding acetone drops to poured resin. (I have an example of this on and pendant on my Instagram page ‘dinodaisy’).
    Hope this helps.
    Kate xxx

• #7620 Reply

Katie

Hey not sure if anyone is still following this post but I think I’ve come up with one way to do the lace effect.
    I’ve achieved it with ink and acrylic paint (both mixed into resin of course)
    Basically it’s using acetone and mixed mediums (inks,acrylic,spray paint) all in the one project.
    The sections that turned out the best were ones I didn’t “move” to much once they were on the surface (maybe lay everything else first move it around, then add the colour you want to lace on top, and incorporating it in), layering ink/acetone on straight acrylics or vice verse. The trick I think is not to mix acetone into every colour your working with. It shows up best in white I believe. I used about a ratio of no more than 1:10 eg 10ml per 100ml
    The result improved up to that level but then stopped and wouldn’t cure afterwards.

• #7621 Reply

Diana khan

If you go on Instagram look for: brilliantaqua

She does wonderful pouring art and her art contains this lace effect you’re looking for. if you read the comments for today’s art video it said she had purchased silicone from Amazon. She is a very nice artist who shares and answers your questions. I find her work inspirational and has the “awe” effect, I love her.

Thank you

Diana

• #7718 Reply

adrienne

I do a lot of acrylic pouring and am recently getting into resin pouring as well. Try adding a few drops of silicone oil to every cup of colored resin EXCEPT white before you pour. Mix very well. Be sure white is poured onto your canvas last, as white is the heaviest pigment. You can buy silicone oil anywhere- it’s just WD-40.

• #7890 Reply

Kim

It’s one hundred percent silicone oil you make sure kryllyk paint with a little bit of Dawn dish soap and water spray or trip the silicone oil in it Stir It for it and use a torch to bring out the waist effect took me forever to figure it out

• #8465 Reply

Jacinta walker

Try silicone spray, it works a treat.

• #8586 Reply

Zachary Johnston

If you can’t get the lace effect to work with the resin you’re coloring, you may try to just do an acrylic dirty pour with some pouring medium and silicone oil (pour your other colors into the white, so that it’s last on your surface), torch it and then cover the finished and dried piece with a clear coat of epoxy resin. This also gives the final piece a nifty layered effect. I’m still trying to figure out the chemistry with resin, but I’ve had great results using acrylics and pouring medium. Good luck!

• #8598 Reply

Louise Steyn

I have just done an experiment which worked well enough for me. I dropped a few drops of mould release into my white colour and got a lot of life! Dont know how to post a picture here yet.

• #8751 Reply

Chris Wilson

Hello Karen use resin oil for the lace affect. Only a drop is necessary goes a long way. Enjoy.

• #8795 Reply

Tbobina

Has anyone figured out a definitive way to get lacing with Resin? I have tried and tried with everything, and am not getting much of anything. πŸ™ what kind of tint/paint to use in resin? acrylic? alcohol? acetone? silicone? dimethicone? oil paint? I have seen so many ideas, tried many of them, and nothing. Why is this such a big secret? As of now I use a special resin tint, or a tiny bit of acrylic paint mixed with a bit of alcohol. Still no lacing with titanium white. πŸ™

• #9000 Reply

Sharon

Hi, I have had some success using pebeo paint, this is an oil based paint. If you use too many of your colors from pebeo your painting will take days to cure. I used one color of pebeo and several just acrylic and it cures much quicker and give some lacey cells. I have also added resi block to alcohol and spritz it onto the wet resin. As mentioned previously by others, if you use too much you will get large divots. But watching the cells come out is neat. (I don’t know how to share a photo of these results.)

• #9186 Reply

Jo-Anne Hein

The secret is adding a tiny bit of soft or liquid soap to the rubbing alcohol thinner in the paint. This makes the cells or feathering effect.

• #9228 Reply

Luna

Thanks all for sharing “secrets” I just start with fluid acrylic , cannot find resin in Israel hope to learn more and to buy resin online.
    Thanks

• #9751 Reply

Nini

Have you try Resin Blast?

• #10740 Reply

Dalaney

All you need is acetone or pure alchol- at least 80percent proof… although being in australia the warmer weather does make a difference, so if your somewhere with a cool climate you will need to warm not only your paint and resin but the alchol/acetone as well, also don’t move your paint, I no it’s tempting because it looks cloudy at first but just leave it sit, it will expand

• #10783 Reply

Sakura

Hi I’m also studying resin art.
    I tried alcohol ink, acrylic ink and silicone oil, but I can’t make beautiful cells like Bruce riley in any combination.

page 1

It spreads out, collapses, or does not react.
    Do you know the dye that he is using?
    Can you make it with cash resiBLAST?

• #10828 Reply

Janet thompson6

Try using silicone oil, I’ve actually found using the Loreal total repair Extraordinary Oil. It seems to work better then the silicone oils and doesn’t leave a nasty film or cloudy bits behind. I usually put one drop in my resin and paint mixture. Usually just the difference if consistency will have a neat effect as well.
    Good luck!

• #10966 Reply

Lyle Thompson

I have been experimenting with different techniques to create effects in resin art and I think I have your answer. First do your first pour of colors like you normally would. Let the epoxy dry completely and then apply a generous coat of rain-ex to the area you want the lacing and cells to form per directions. Once the rain-ex is applied thin out white acrylic with a little denatured alcohol, you could add alcohol inks in to it as well. Spray the resin surface with a very light fine mist of water and pour the paint mixture on top of it. I usually scrape off excess paint to thin it across the areas I want. Allow to dry for 5 minutes and carefully apply heat- I use a heat gun instead of a torch wich evaporates the alcohol instead of it bursting into flames. Once the mixture is drying but not completely set add another thin coat of resin, I heat my resin in the microwave for 20 seconds before mixing and that considerably thins it out. Once the epoxy sets up you will have an awesome effect. You can continue to add different layers to create a 3d effect with different colors as well. I hope this helps.

• #10976 Reply

Lita

Hi, I’m trying to figure out the same thing, I’m thinking maybe liquid silicon spray with acetone in a dropper bottle or spritz bottle and dropped or spritzer immediately upon tinted resin been poured or painted so it’s fresh and wet ,I’m going to try that and with just isopropyl alcohol and silicon both spray liquid and oil I’m going to try, might try them with glycerin also. Good luck

Reply To: Trying to get Lace Effect in Resin Pour
Your information: