Type of Resin & Mold

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Gail

I want to make a round paperweight about 4″ in diameter. Do any of your resins work with that amount of volume and do they dry clear? I would also like to use a transparent ink like Daler Rowney or maybe Golden fluid acrylic paint mixed in. Will either one of those work? I really like your sphere shaped molds but they’re smaller than what I’m looking for. I’d like to avoid hard lines from a mold where they’re poured in two halves – did that make sense? Thank you!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Gail,

For casting into molds, the Resin Obsession super clear resin works well. It is designed for molds and cures crystal clear. You can buy it in several sizes here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-super-clear-resin

I’m not familiar with Daler Rowney ink so I don’t know if they will work. Acrylic paint can work provided you use as little as possible. Paints attract moisture which can keep the resin from fully curing. Otherwise, we have colorants designed specifically for resin here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/colorants

I do understand you not wanting to have lines in your casting. Unfortunately, we don’t have a large sphere mold at this time, but it’s something we are working on. 😉

Toni Heili

Please I have an odd question. I have been working with molten glass and have a large reusable mould which I want to use in an experiment with resin. The mould is made out of clay. What release agent should I use to coat the mould with before pouring the resin into it. Because the object is 3 dimensional the mould is made in three pieces which fit together and are constructed in such a way that there should be no leakage out of the mould. The inner part of the mould is 750mm long and the curves vary between 1 and 8cm wide. I acknowledge that there will be bubbles and I am quite happy with that as the effect of the bubbles will not detract from the piece. It is just I have to make three individual pieces (hence re-using the same mould) for the end sculpture. Any guidance on the release agent would be so very much appreciated.
      Thank you
      Toni

Brad

I’m looking to make an end table thats about 9″x20″ on 1/2″ plywood. On the top of the table I’m going to incase slices of logs. the logs range in diameter of 1″-5″ and around 1″ thickness. Theres not gonna be a lot of gaps in-between each slice so I only want no more than 1/4″ thickness for the top layer. What I am wondering is what would be the best kind of resin to use or is resin even the right thing I should be using. Thank you to whomever can help.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Brad,

For this project, an epoxy resin is what I would use. The Resin Obsession super clear resin is best, although it is designed to mix only 3 ounces at once. You would be awhile getting this table done.

For a second choice, I would use the Alumilite Amazing Casting resin. You can mix more at one time, but know that bubbles are going to be a challenge.

You can find both resins in our store here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin

Nikki Schwartz

As silly as this must sound, I am having a difficult time with not knowing which is the right/correct side of the mold to pour in. Some of the plastic molds, I am not sure which is up and which is down. What is the correct side and how can I tell?

Thank you

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Nikki,

Unfortunately sometimes, it is hard to tell with plastic molds. In general, the phlange part (the outer perimeter of the mold) should rest against a table when pouring.

Does that make sense?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Type of Resin & Mold’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube