Uneven resin surface on painting

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Barbara:

Hope you have some advice for me. I resined a very large oil on canvas painting and unfortunately there a couple of dimples and a few small bubbles. Is there anything I can do to make it perfect?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Barbara,

I’m sorry things aren’t working out for you. I have a few questions:

1. What kind/brand of resin did you use?
      2. How big is your painting surface?
      3. How much resin did you use?
      4. Were your oil paints thoroughly dry?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Response from Barbara:

1. I used Enviro Tex Lite
        2. The canvas is 30” x 40”
        3. I can’t say exactly how much resin I used but it seemed to pretty much cover the surface
        4. It was oil paint and was dry.

I think my problem was my torch ran out of liquid so I tried to use my hair drier on low speed.

I don’t know if the dimples and air bubbles can be solved, so should I just toss it out? Thanks for your advice.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

Envirotex Lite is a doming resin. It will work to cover the surface of a painting.

Doing the math here: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-art/how-to-apply-a-glossy-resin-layer-to-a-painting/ you should have needed about 45 ounces total of mixed resin to coat it to an 1/8 inch thickness. If you used less resin than that, the resin can pull away in areas, especially high points, and leave divots.

I don’t have any experience applying resin over oil paintings, but I have read where some other artists suggest letting the paint fully dry for 30 days before applying resin. Oil paint and resin don’t mix (literally) so that can make it separate as well.

I’m afraid there is no easy way to fix bubbles. If it’s large, it might be worth trying to cut it out like shown here: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-resin-resin/how-to-fix-bubbles-in-resin . Even if you could cut it out somewhat, you could fill it in with colored resin before applying your next clear layer. Or maybe even some gilding flakes? https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/colorants/products/gilding-flakes-gold-silver-copper-and-bronze-colors . No one has to know it isn’t what you intended. *wink*wink*

Nancy Belle

I’ve used Resin in a mix of Acrylic, Oil Paint and Resin to create paintings and I’ve not had one problem with the mix. AND I don’t let my oil painting dry for 30 days because it has mixed well with the Resin. I haven’t had one problem with it. It doesn’t seem to matter if the Oil paint is mixed within the Resin before pouring or poured on top of it. However, I’ve had challenges with not mixing enough Resin to cover the entire painting and the result was that of getting an uneven surface.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Thanks for sharing Nancy. What brand of oil paint did you use? It’s been my experience that higher quality acrylic paints are less likely to cause a problem. Maybe that’s the case with oil paints too?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Uneven resin surface on painting’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube