Unmolding from plastic mold

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Evi

Thanks so much! it worked… unfortunately the edges of the resin didnt really like the cold… they seem "melted" but on the whole its ok!

Evi

Hi everybody.

I put my resin creation in a plastic mold cup like (not flexible) after I sprayed some unmolding substance (by the way I dont get it: they say smooth it immediately after application but I have the impression that if I do that I take it off again!!).
      This morning completely set impossible to unmold. I will hate having to throw everything so if you have any idea how to manage the unmolding I will be a very very happe person.
      Thanks
      Katherine Swift

You can try placing your mold in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes.  If you are lucky, when you take out your mold, you can slap it on a countertop and your casting will pop out.

Kate

Once you let it warm back up, the edges of the resin will firm up. You might need to wait a day or two for the complete full cure time, but the edges will be firm if there wasnt anything amiss with the cure (i.e. incorrect ratio, too many inclusions, etc). The freezer method shouldnt have caused any lasting effect. 

One of the molds I routinely use, a cheap plastic paint pallet, is inflexible and so I use the freezer method all the time. With the pallet, I dont even need to use a release agent, just the freezer. I also use the freezer with other stubborn releases, too. 
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Unmolding from plastic mold’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube