Using a marine epoxy for crafts

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Roy:

Have you ever used Marine epoxy/table top epoxy for casting in small (3″-4″) molds? I am using casting craft now, but it is expensive. Was thinking marine epoxy might be less expensive. But does it work as well?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Roy,

I appreciate your concern about wanting to keep your costs down. In a short answer, yes, the marine epoxy should work fine, but there are a few things you should be aware of:

1. Marine epoxies are meant for industrial use. They generally don’t have any UV stablizers in them to help keep them from yellowing.
      2. Since they are meant for use on a large scale purpose, the minimum amount you have to mix may be more than the minimum amount of Castin’ Craft.
      3. Tech support in these types of situations is limited. Generally, these manufacturers don’t have any experience using their resins for crafting purposes. They likely won’t be able to be of much help in case something goes wrong.

Good luck!

Carissa Wolff

I use table-top resin all the time in resin projects. It’s a 1:1 ratio and can be made and used in small batches. it will yellow over time but not really much more than castin craft does. Even if you go long periods say a year or two and it does go slightly yellow you can still use warm colored dyes in it and it is fine. Black also covers this up. If you use white dye you usually get a lovely ivory color. Good luck! I usually buy mine at lowes for about $25 and its somewhere in the ballpark of 32 oz. for that price.

Sue

How to use molds which are 3 parts such as those used to make jars or glasses? How are they meant to be filled?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Using a marine epoxy for crafts’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube