Using all sides of a cube mold

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Evy

Hi-I wanted to make cube and put something (a 4 leave clover) in each side of the cube. I did the bottom and the next day tried to do a side but didn’t think about the fact that turning the cube “sideways” meant having an open side next to it. I restarted and did the bottom, let it cure, t so I could use another side as the new “bottom”. After I poured silicone into the new bottom, I put the finished side back in with one side touching the resin. I figured I could keep doing that to get a layer in all the sides (of course open side last). I was then going to put my clover in a side, and then pour resin in a “bottom side”, taking a day to do each side. At the end, I would fill most of the mold, put in the last clover and then put resin to top. I thought maybe I should check with you. if there’s a better way to do or if my plan isn’t going to work…..Thanks!!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Evy, it sounds like you have a great plan!

Evy

Thanks-I was hoping I was missing a better way to do! Thanks again for your help.

Evy Picker

Not working out so well….Technique was to do a layer bottom of cube; when cured, remove from mold and then put the finished side back in perpendicularly to create a new “bottom.” I was able to do 1st side (bottom,) then rotate and do an adjacent side without problems. But when I did the third side-I poured resin in the bottom and then inserted and pressed down the “L” shaped finished sides hoping it would stick to the new bottom…this resulted in some of the resin from the bottom going getting squished partly up, between the mold and the “completed” sides and the mold. I don’t know if in the end I can sand off that partial/irregular extra layer? When I did the 4th side, I didn’t push the completed sides as hard into the wet resin-not only did they not attach to the new bottom, but for some reason, the new bottom came out smaller than a side should be. Not sure if I should put it back in the mold and just pour another layer to get the right dimensions???
      I also realized that my plan to pour a layer in the bottom of the cube, remove the cured layer and then create a new “bottom”presents another challenge-once there are 3 attached sides or a squared U shape, it becomes tough to pour more resin in because a side has to obstruct the top….

I don’t know if any of this makes sense-sorry to not be doing a better job explaining. My goal was to make a cube with a four leaf clover on each face of the cube.

One other issue, relatively minor, is bubbles under the clovers. I poured a small amount to cover the base, let it cure, then placed the clover and poured more resin-there ended up being bubbles under the clover that weren’t visible til dry.

Would this work? Pour each side separately just using the bottom of the mold and then put the 5 sides back into the mold (assuming they fit properly)-would the separate sides become attached into one cube when I pour resin to fill the mold to the top?

Thanks and sorry if this is too confusing…
      Evy

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Using all sides of a cube mold’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube