using doming resin over regular resin

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Millicent

Hello there!
      I want to do my embedding project with a thin viscosity resin and then dome it with another resin to finish it off nicely.
      Has anyone ever tried this? What happened?
      Thanks!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I have had success doing this with doming epoxy over epoxy or epoxy over polyester.

Martha Humphrey

Hi!

This is a little off topic from the previous comment in this thread but I was just wondering if someone could please explain to me the difference between doming resin and regular resin?? I keep seeing the term come up everywhere and I’m not sure what it means.

Thanks in advance!

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Martha,

Great question! (and I’m sure you aren’t the only one with it)

A doming resin is a resin that has enough surface tension where it wants to stay in a ‘dome’ on a flat surface, even it sides aren’t present. These resins mix thicker, which allows the dome. The challenge in using these resins is that it is harder to remove bubbles from doming resins.

If it isn’t a doming resin, then it is (likely) a casting resin. These resins mix in a thinner viscosity and tend to release bubbles much easier. They won’t create a dome, however, because the don’t mix thick. They are instead designed for molds.

Did I make sense?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘using doming resin over regular resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube