Using epoxy resin to reduce volume of a box

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Tom

So i have a subwoofer box that i need to make smaller by 1 litre. I was thinking of just pouring in 1 litre of resin and leaving it to harden. Someone also suggested mixing resin with sand and using this method as i would not have to layer it, i could just pour it all in. If this would work what ratio of sand to resin would i need? And would i have to combine both volumes of sand and resin to 1 litre then mix it together?

Thanks

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Tom, I haven’t done a project this large with resin and sand.

For smaller projects, I add enough sand to where the resin is saturated, but still pourable.

Tom

How about if i were to pour 1 litre of sand into the box and then add a small layer of resin over the top to stop it moving around. Would that work?

Rhonda J Hunter

Is the sand necessary to your project? That adds a lot of weight. I would cut styrofoam to fit the inside and glue it in.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

The resin is going to soak into the sand.

Have you considered concrete? You could pour the concrete, then seal it. The resin shouldn’t permeate through.

Tom

The thing is the box or enclosure is made out of a fibreglass mould and is far from a cube or cuboid so it would be difficult to cut foam to fit perfectly and reduce the volume accurately by 1 litre. I ideally need to pour in 1 litre of liquid substance so it will fill the fibreglass mould then have it harden.

Tom

I think concrete may be a tad too heavy. It may crack the fibreglass?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Using epoxy resin to reduce volume of a box’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube