Using paper background in resin

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Clare

Hi,
      I want to have a sheet of beautiful paper as the background for a resin notebook cover. I am wondering if I should pour some clear with glitter and alcohol ink first, let that dry 5 hours (or 24???) and then pour some more clear and stick the paper on top, thus when unmolding it will be the inside of the cover.
      Or…should I put the paper in first and then add resin with glitter. I HAVE sealed the paper with several coats of ModPodge. I’m afraid to start! Thanks, all.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Clare,

I think you could do either. I’m guessing your cover mold isn’t very thick, so I would opt for putting the paper in the first layer.

We have an article that shows some options: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-tutorials/book-cover-diy/

Clare

Thank you for your response. I’m still not sure how long to wait between layers. Is it only 15 minutes? No matter what you put in?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Clare,

Since your cover is thin, I would wait until the first layer is fully cured before putting in the paper layer.

Clare

Sorry, but I have never done this before. Regarding the first layer, does FULLY CURED mean the full 24 hours? I thought that if resin is cured that long you have to sand it before adding another layer, which I do not want to do. I have seen youtube videos where they wait 15 minutes, some wait 5 hours. I don’t get it. Thanks!

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Clare,

Fully cured varies from resin to resin. You do not have to sand the resin before applying another layer if the resin is clean. (I never sand before applying a new coat of resin.)

What you’re describing with your project will do great with applying a new layer of resin without sanding.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Using paper background in resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube