using resin to coat clay beads

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Bonnie:

I’m fairly new to creating my own polymer clay beads, of all shapes and sizes. Currently, I am using Varathane Varnish to coat them…but noticed after a short period of time the pieces are picking up dirt and oils from wearing them often. Is there a resin that could be brushed on to my beads (round) for a better, long lasting finish…please help…feeling desperate

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Bonnie,

Yes, you can do this, but it’s going to be a bit tedious. The resin will want to drip off the beads, so you are going to have find a way to let the beads hang while this happens. You also need to let them hang off of something that resin doesn’t stick to, otherwise, you will cement the beads down. A thin dowel or other string generously coated with wax is what I would use. You will also need to rotate the beads frequently (like rotisserie style) to keep the resin even.

As for a resin choice, any of our doming resins will work for this. You can find them in our shop here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/doming

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘using resin to coat clay beads’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube