Using resin to fill voids in cabochons

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Pat:

I have been looking for something to fill small pits in rocks, cabochons,displays etc. It would need to take a polish on a buffing wheel so thought the poly resins? most of the pits are pin head size but some can be the size of a pencil eraser. if the rock/cab is already polished would the resin still work? any help would be appreciated I could not find much on this

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Pat,

I have done a little of this, so I’m happy to share my experiences.

I would not use polyester resin in this case. How you mix polyester resin (with hardener) depends on the depth of the casting. I’m afraid it would be rather tedious to get the amount of catalyst just right to allow your resin to cure. Your logic makes sense though, since polyester resin does well on a buffing and polishing wheel.

In this case, I think a hard curing epoxy resin, like the Resin Obsession super clear resin would work well. You can buy it in several sizes in our store here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-super-clear-resin I have used it in cases like this and did well on a polishing wheel. The resin probably works best once the stone has been polished. That will mean there is less total heat/friction applied to the stone.

Pat Swanson

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I am going to try the resin-obsession. Also thank you for all the information links. Your time is very appreciated.

Thanks again,

Pat

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Using resin to fill voids in cabochons’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube