Using vaseline as a mold release

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes through email by Liz:

Have you ever used a homemade mold with vaseline as a release agent and did your pieces come out ok? It worked well except that my pieces had squiggly lines throughout. Not like the colorant wasn’t mixed, it actually worked great, but it looks like cracks almost except the pieces aren’t cracked. The surface is smooth but the cracks are inside.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Liz, I have had this happen if the vaseline isn’t put in a thin layer on the mold. Is the surface of your casting even?

liz

It’s about as even as I could make it. The item I used to create the mold is made of wood which I sanded and glazed to smooth out the roughness. Still, it isn’t as smooth as a button would be.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I understand now why you used vaseline. Resin molds need to be flexible, which the wood isn’t. I’m guessing you popped the casting out of the mold by hitting it on a hard surface? My best bet would be to get the surface of your resin casting as ‘perfect’ as you want it, then use it as a template for a silicone mold.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Using vaseline as a mold release’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube