UV Resin Plunders

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Lauren

Hello 🙂 I am brand new at using resin but I’ve hit a ditch in the road. I use Miniature Sweet UV Resin (Hard) with simple shaped silicone molds (oval and teardrop). When I cure it under the lamp it appears to shrink and pull away from the mold before it’s solid (right before it actually does turn solid) and it leaves marks (almost like blotches or streaks) where it pulled away from, most severely on the edges. The odd thing is is that some turn out much better while the process remains the same.

If it helps my project has been filling the molds to about a centimetre deep and then placing a small object inside like a mini key charm or even dried flowers.

Also a few questions about UV Resin:

* Why does it smoke at first (is it supposed to?)
      * How do you properly cure the resin when the UV doesn’t penetrate through the bigger glitter pieces? I tend to flip the piece over and zap the backside and that seems to help…

Thanks for any and all help, I really appreciate it.

Molly

Hi Lauren, I’m new to using resin too. So far I’ve only used the kind you mix, that comes in 2 separate bottles. I wanted to try UV resin because it sets so much faster. I wouldn’t have to wait a day or more to see how my piece turned out. I was doing a little research online and found a great resin crafting page on FB, so I joined and asked them what wattage of a UV lamp should I buy, for making small pendants and things? And they said that a 24w lamp is fine– but it might take a little longer to cure the piece, and also, however, a lot of them said a 36w lamp is TOO MUCH and that it WILL CAUSE YOUR PIECE TO SHRINK. Lauren, what wattage of lamp are you using? My guess is that it might be too strong?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘UV Resin Plunders’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube