UV Resin SMOKING When exposed to uv light!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      BB

Hello, I am very new to using resin. I bought Qiao Qiao DIY UV Resin hard. When I exposed it to my uv led black light it started to smoke. The resin hardened instantly in 20 seconds and was warm to the touch. Nowhere have I read uv resin to smoke or become hot. Am I using the wrong kind of light or did I receive a bad batch?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I haven’t used this brand of resin, but in general, when resin smokes, it’s too hot and cures quickly (like what happened to you.) Do you know how much resin you can use at once?

Bryana Burrell

I used 1 teaspoon just to experiment. I’m not sure how much to use. Should I keep practicing with it or should I throw it out?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

I wouldn’t expect a teaspoon to be too much. Check with the manufacturer to see how much they recommend using at once.

Tabitha

I have this brand, and I found this feed because mine is doing it too. I used about a teaspoon as well.

Tabitha

This is not my post

I found this on a different feed. It is okay, it’s vapor, not smoke. But that means do it in a well ventilated area.

UV resin smokes when it cures because less energy is required to hold the molecules together after the reaction than before and the excess energy is released as heat which vaporizes moisture from the resin mixture. It’s steam not smoke. It becomes hard because UV light has enough energy to trigger a reaction which allows the short chain molecules in the resin to combine into longer chain molecules which intertwine to make it hard. “Chain” here means the number of carbon atoms linked together to form a linear array in the molecules of the resin.

nicole mays

hello I am new to the resin life but I bought a portable UV light but I am not using the UV resin. Will the UV light help cure the resisn quicker ? One project to hours and the other two are still drying from yesterday.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Nicole,

Unfortunately, a UV light will not help traditional resin cure faster.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘UV Resin SMOKING When exposed to uv light!’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube