Want to spray paint on resin

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Kevin:

I just purchased a huge, beautiful, futuristic resin sculptured mirror, which was originally finished in a silver-like color. I want to spray a metallic paint, pearlescent, over the existing surface, and I’d like tips on the process. I’m thinking a fine 400 or 500 grit sandpaper initially, or finer, then the paint without using an additional primer. I haven’t spray painted items in over 30 years, and back then, one used oil-based metallic paints, which may have been replaced by acrylics, today. I’d buy solid metal/mineral pigments, then mix in the oil base, and then spray.
      What’s the safest, most effective paint relative to not damaging the surface of the resin. I hope I am clear in my explanation.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Kevin,

I haven’t spray painted on resin, but have brushed on acrylic paints and been happy with the results. You can see them here: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-resin-resin/painting-on-resin As long as the surface is clean, you shouldn’t need to sand it. In fact, sanding it will take off some of the detail if you aren’t careful.

I suggest trying some test sprays on the back of the piece. An acrylic based paint is where I would start.

Good luck (and let us know how it works out)!

Kevin Johnson

Thanks Katherine.
      I decided to seriously modify my painting process in order to simplify the finishing. I decided to use “Modern Masters” metallic paint, which is brush-able, along with a clear coat, semi-gloss that I will add “Jacquard’s Pearl Ex Macropearl (powdered pigment) to, in order to create a pearlescent wash over the under-color. I won’t have to worry about streaking as the resin mirror’s form is that of spiral-like arms; not a large flat surface area. In addition, I’ using a water-based primer, which I will test in order to determine whether it will fill the myriad tiny scratches on the existing surface. If not, I’ll sand with either/or in combination, 220/320/400 grit sandpaper(s).
      I’m using great brushes, plus I won’t have to build a spray tent, and can paint within the confines of my home, and dust will be minimal.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Sounds like you’ve got this! I can’t wait to see your results.

Kevin Johnson

Hi Katherine:
          How do I post images of the progress I’m making on my resin sculpture?

Also, to date, I’ve applied 3 applications of Modern Masters Metallic paints, and in addition, 3 applications of Modern Masters Master Clear Semi-Gloss to which I added Jacquard’s PearlEx Macropearls. I sanded the final application of the clear finish using 3000 grit sandpaper, wet sanded. (The surface is very smooth.) I will finish with Master Clear, without the macropearls.

Here’s my final question, I’m using a very high quality flat brush but I know brushing on water-based finishes is not as smooth as spraying it on. However, in metal-work, artists will typically steel wool buff the final coat. Will that work for my project or do I need to use a finer grade of sandpaper?

Katherine Swift
            Keymaster

If your pictures are online, you can link to them.

Unfortunately, I don’t what the results will be using steel wool to buff the final coat.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Want to spray paint on resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube