Wanting to make food safe resin dinnerware

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes through email by Mica:

Hi. I love your site!! So much inspiration.

I need a bit of advice. What kind of resin can I use to make a plate like the photo attached? Must be food safe.
      Also, how can I make the resin a matte color and not shiny? Is that sanding or is that an additive?

(I’m attaching a photo of what I want to essentially make.)

resin dinnerware

black and white resin bowl

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

You only have one option for a food safe resin https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/foodsafe

To get the matte finish, you will either need to make a mold from a template with a matte finish, or go over it with a medium grit sandpaper once cast. I would suggest a 600 grit paper.

Jessica Ballard

I’m wanting to do the same. Can this resin withstand soup or coffee? I’m hoping to decorate the outside of a ceramic coffee mug or possibly make soup bowls.

Evan Smith

Would also like to know if this resin would withstand soup or coffee.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

They can withstand a hot beverage, but are not dishwasher or microwave safe.

Nikki

I am trying to use alumilite epoxy over Marabu easy marble on tumblers. The 1st 2 came out very rippled even after spinning for 5 hours. The other 2 have a ton of “fish eyes”. Is it possible to apply epoxy over the easy marble for tumblers or should I use something else to seal them??

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

I haven’t used resin over ‘easy marble’ but as long as the surface is clean (free of dirt and grease) I would expect it to adhere without any problems.

It sounds like perhaps you didn’t use enough resin.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Wanting to make food safe resin dinnerware’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube