Wax in resin?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Darrell W.

Can you put candle wax in a resin piece?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Yes, although the resin won’t stick to it. I’ve never tried completely submerging wax in resin, however, it comes in quite handy as a model, surface for casting, etc.

Darrell

I was thinking about driping the wax in the mold before casting then pouring the resin. If the resin won’t stick to it, would I get a cool “half-cast”? My idea is to drip wax in a jewel (diamond) mold and pour the resin giving it a “cracked, have jewel” look. If it works, will the wax peel off, like I planned, or will it stay on there? Also, what if I melted the wax out? How hot does resin have to be before it melts? Thanks!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Sure, you can drip wax into the mold, cast, then remove the wax after curing.

To remove the wax, I would scrape out what I could with my fingernail, then pass over the cured resin with a heat gun or a hair dryer to warm the wax up and let it seep out.

Essa

Probably a silly question – I’m a super novice: Does the type of wax matter? Crayon wax for instance. I understand that resin won’t stick to the wax, but will it stick to itself enough that it could be encased completely? I have a ring that I was thinking of encasing in resin using a slightly larger mold.

I know the original post is a year old, but figured I’d reply here since it was the same subject and it’s as close as I got when looking for answers.

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

I don’t know. I have never tried!

If you do, would you mind letting us know how it goes?

Chaz

Did you ever try casting with wax and melting it out.?I have a project I want to do, band that would be an easy way as I’m used to carving wax for lost wax casting. Any hints or tips?

Brittany mullens

Can I use the molds u use for resin for candles I wanna make custom candles with some of the different molds I have but not sure if I can plus I’ll be putting designs on the candles with wax paper and such I’m an artist so I would like my art on a candle

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Brittany, I’ve never tried, but it’s my understanding that won’t work.

Dolly Stoddart

My Great Grandma passed away and I would like to preserve her rose in resin, but I don’t want to dry it first. Can I dip it in wax and then put it in resin? Or will it still change colors?I only have one rose so if I mess it up I don’t have any more. Please Help?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Dolly,

I’m afraid the rose will need to be dried and preserved first. Unfortunately, resin will not adhere to wax.

David Blake

Out of curiosity, would the EVO DYE, for candles work to color the resin prior to pouring?

Anna

Okay, so resin will not ever adhere to wax? even if fully submerged? I am a metal caster, I have a lot of wax sculptures, and had the idea of putting some of my wax sculptures in resin…but as stated before, this wont work….why? will the wax become messed up from the heat of the resin? sculpting wax is soft.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

If you could completely encase the wax in resin, the resin could stick to itself, but then there is also a possibility the heat of the resin reaction could distort your wax.

Nichole Davan

I thought I was the only one!
      All I have wax hands from Madame Tussauds. Their wax is silicone based. I want to completely submerge them in resin.
      Will it work?

Nichole Davan

Similar situation- I have wax hands from Madame Tussauds. They use a silicone based wax. Can I safely submerge these in resin?

Roko

hi,
      I had a friend cover my whole guitar surface with beeswax and huichol beads sticking onto it. I need to know how will epoxy resin react with this.
      Need to do some testing and see how it behaves. If it doesn’t work, can someone reccomend a material that I can use to keep the beads in place?

Vijaya

I saw Stone Coutertops putting Bees wax in Epoxy Resin. How does it help as I was told Resin and wax don’t mix

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

I’m not familiar with that. I don’t know how it would work.

Alice

If I wanted to melt wax(or just put the wax in the resin) would it still cure? I’m curious if I combined colored wax into resin if it could work.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Alice,

I wouldn’t expect the resin to cure.

Ken

I ran upon this while searching for the answer to this same question. What will happen to wax in resin casting?

What I am/have casting is a bottle sealed with wax, like some expensive whisky or wine is. With multiple answers in various situations, I just did it. The wax used to seal the bottle was ordinary candle wax recovered from lots of candles. I’d wondered if the resin would chemically melt the wax away and it might have done so, just a bit. On one of the castings, the top had a thin layer of wax on it. It wiped right off, the piece looks fine inside, wax seal still intact.

So, at least for me, it worked fine.

Andrew Lee

I’m not sure about the other questions but if you want to preserve a rose hose it down in hair spray.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Wax in resin?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube