What to use to prep panels for painting?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Miriam:

I’d love to know what you prefer to prep your birch panels with when you’re going to be pouring acrylics on them topped with resin ??? I’m currently using Kilz Original to seal and priming with gesso. Do you think this is ok OR are there materials you prefer better?

And I’d like to know what you’d prefer on basswood panels. I’m using the GAC 100 to seal and the gesso to prime, Is this combo an optimal one or what do you prefer?

One last question…I’ve got a cradled gesso board I’m going to use resin only on the board. Do I need to seal and prime the cradle also?

Thanks for any info…I know it will be most helpful !!!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Miriam,

I’m afraid I only have experience using resin for painting and not covering acrylics. While I know many acrylic painters like to gesso and/or use GAC 100, I can’t comment as to what you are doing here is ‘ideal’ or not since I haven’t tried it myself.

When it comes to resin painting however, I always use a ‘generic’ white primer first assuming the surface isn’t white. Kilz is fine, but I have used other brands and been happy with the results.

You shouldn’t need to seal and prime your cradled gesso board. Check the specifics on the wrapper, but it should be ready to use!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘What to use to prep panels for painting?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube