Why does my resin have a wavy surface?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Teresa:

I have a question, hoping you could help me. The resin always goes wavy and shrivels on the bottom surface. Is that bc we may not have enough hardener vs how much resin we are using? Or not stirred enough? We are making coasters so I just sand the edges and bc it is the bottom of the mold in not so worried about it but was curious. Thanks!

Katherine Swift

Hi Teresa,

My first thought is that the resin stuck to the side of the cup hasnt mixed well enough.  Assuming you are scraping the cup at the end of pouring to get all your resin, this is probably why its wavy.  I make a point to scrape my cup and stir utensil several times during the mixing process to get a good mix. 

The other thing that may be happening is if your resin is starting to cure, but you are still adding it to the mold.  It wont go flat, but instead stack in layers or waves.

Luckily, though, it sounds like your resin is curing appropriately.  As you found out, you can just sand the waves off.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Why does my resin have a wavy surface?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube