Working with glitter and earring moulds; advice needed please!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Louise

Hi all! I’ve been crafting resin earrings using silicone moulds and have found that I enjoy making earrings with clear resin mixed with coloured glitter. My issue is that in order to prevent the glitter from sinking to the bottom of the mould and making the piece look flat, I need a higher viscosity resin. But such resin has trouble filling the corners and thin areas of certain shaped moulds.

I’ve been using MAD art resin 1:1 and the clarity/shine/hardness of the finished pieces is wonderful. They look great, and the glitter is distributed well enough (not perfect but acceptable). But even after using heat guns, torches and toothpicks I still get bubbles in my pieces.

Does anyone have any advice on what sort of resin to use for this kind of work? Or better techniques for removing bubbles? I’m trying not to use too much heat to avoid damaging my moulds, and toothpicks can scratch the moulds too… What should I try next?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Louise,

For projects like this, I like to use the Resin Obsession super clear resin. It mixes in a thin viscosity, making bubbles easy to release. You can buy it in our store here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-super-clear-resin

We also have an article on tips for removing bubbles from resin here: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/resin-bubbles/

Ryan W

I’m a bit of a novice with resins myself. But… why not take a small bit of resin, thin it, and pour it in to fill the corners and such in your mold. Then pour in the rest of the thicker stuff. I’m not sure if this would work and I haven’t tried it myself. Just a thought.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Working with glitter and earring moulds; advice needed please!’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube