Workspace protection mat

Home Page Forums Resin Techniques Workspace protection mat

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Tera M

I discovered that the non-stick BBQ grill mats are perfect for protecting my tabletop while working with resin.
      (I ruined my kitchen table once because the only way to get the resin drips off, were to sand them off. Had to refinish the whole oak table.)
      I used Twisted Oven BBQ mats (on Amazon. Probably other BBQ mats will work, too, but I only tried Twisted Oven brand), and lay it down on the table before starting to work. (Twisted Oven also makes Oven Liners that are made of the same material, but thicker and larger, and they work great, too.)
      The dried spills peel right off the mat, every time! This tip has saved my new oak tabletop on many occasions, and no more newspapers to lay down.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Kerry

Moving house so getting to set up studio in the garage. At the moment I have a wooden desk which I use silicone kitchen cutting mats to cover the table. But in my new studio I would just like to have the right surface as a workbench and not have to constantly cover it. Any recommendations?

Thanks Kerry

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Kerry,

The silicone mats are probably your best bet.

For my casting trays, I use wax paper and/or freezer paper. I throw them away after each pour. For my countertop surface, I use contact paper. I change it out once a month to give me a clean surface.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This article also shares a list of surfaces resin won’t stick to: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-resin-resin/surfaces-resin-wont-stick-to/

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Workspace protection mat’ is closed to new replies.