yellowing resin

• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago by Bec.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Corinna:

I am wondering with the discolouring of resin jewellery, did you receive complaints? I am also wondering if the discolouring stops or if the pieces keep getting a deeper shade of yellow. My pieces started to yellow after two weeks and their weren’t even in direct sunlight (I am in Australia and we do have a high UV especially now in summer). There were just in my living room. Is there a resin that does not yellow with UV light exposure? All my research has given me the same results that all resin will discolour but all resin jewellery I see on the internet is nice and clear and sellers don’t even mention that their will be discolouring. When you sold your jewellery did you especially took photos when is was discoloured or only straight after making while it was still clear?

Thank you so much for your help and your awesome moulds, they work a treat ๐Ÿ™‚

• #11770 Reply
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Corinna,

Thanks for the kind words. I’m glad the molds were a help to you!

Unfortunately, all resins are going to yellow over time. Resins with UV inhibitors and stabilizers help extend the time before yellowing occurs. However, things such as mixing off ratio (even though it still can cure without tackiness), putting over an improperly cured lacquer, excessive heat, and or constant exposure to sunlight can speed up the yellowing process. How long the epoxy will last in its clear state is very difficult to predict.

I can’t say that I have ever seen a seller of resin wares mention their items will yellow, although I can’t say I have ever seen metalsmiths talk about tarnish either. When I sold resin jewelry, I always advised buyers to minimize their UV light exposure.

Don’t leave it in a hot car
      Don’t wear it to the beach or pool

It is likely everyone takes pictures of their jewelry once they are made, before yellowing occurs. To minimize the yellowing a customer sees, I would suggest not leaving pieces clear or using a lot of white underneath clear resin.

I do wish I had better news for you.

• #11775 Reply
      Corinna

Hi Katherine,
      thank you so much for your advise and no bad news. I actually kind of like the ‘yellowing’ as it gives the pieces I put in some contours around them so all good.
      Thanks for your help and happy resining ๐Ÿ˜‰
      Corinna

• #83985 Reply
      Rebecca

Hi Katherine,
      I was just reading this thread and you mentioned to reducing yellowing donโ€™t use white under clear? Do you mean donโ€™t put clear over the top of white resin? Why would this cause yellowing to occur quicker?
      Thank you,
      Bec

• #83987 Reply
        Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Bec,

Great question! It’s not so much that the white makes the resin yellow faster, it’s usually that people notice the yellowing faster when the clear layer is over white.

Did I make sense?

• #83999 Reply
      Bec

Ah yeah ok, that makes sense. Bummer as I have been making breastmilk jewellery and essentially everyone wants their breastmilk colour ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ

Viewing 4 reply threads
Reply To: yellowing resin
Your information: